This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 52.5739 / 52°34'26"N
Longitude: -0.6655 / 0°39'55"W
OS Eastings: 490532
OS Northings: 298182
OS Grid: SP905981
Mapcode National: GBR DV5.LKQ
Mapcode Global: WHGM6.RK8M
Entry Name: The Old Rectory
Listing Date: 6 July 1987
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1264312
English Heritage Legacy ID: 428251
Location: Seaton, Rutland, LE15
Civil Parish: Seaton
Built-Up Area: Seaton
Traditional County: Rutland
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Rutland
Church of England Parish: Seaton All Hallows
Church of England Diocese: Peterborough
SEATON MAIN STREET
The Old Rectory.
Former rectory, now house. Circa 1821-22, with porch and window above added 1827
after consultation with Lewis Vulliamy. Initial contract signed by John
Boyfield. For Reverend Hugh Monckton. Coursed limestone rubble with ashlar
dressings, slate roof, and ashlar chimneys flanking centre bay. 2 storeys, attic
and cellars, 3 bays. Plinth, first floor sill band. Outer bays have large
tripartite sashes with segmental heads to ground floor and 3-pane sashes to first
floor. Narrow centre bay has projecting ashlar surround and attic storey
breaking through roof with pediment-type gable. First floor has tall staircase
sash with marginal glazing; attic has similar shorter sash. Projecting ashlar
porch below has parapets to side walls and iron railings to front. Panelled door
with rectangular fanlight and flanking pilasters and narrow side lights. Right
gable end has 3-pane sashes to attic and centre of first floor and 2 blind
windows, all with raised stone surrounds. Later garage links house to smaller
cottage block with C20 fenestration. Left gable end has central canted bay,
sashes to first floor, large French windows, and handsome iron verandah. Inside
there are contemporary marble fireplaces and a little wood panelling. Some
features of the previous rectory, demolished 1821, may be incorporated in the
basement and lesser parts of the house.
(Leicestershire Records Office DE 1883/37/10).
Listing NGR: SP9053298182
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings