History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Priory House

A Grade II* Listed Building in Totnes, Devon

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 50.4331 / 50°25'59"N

Longitude: -3.6875 / 3°41'15"W

OS Eastings: 280245

OS Northings: 60606

OS Grid: SX802606

Mapcode National: GBR QM.T0BV

Mapcode Global: FRA 375X.17N

Entry Name: Priory House

Listing Date: 7 January 1952

Last Amended: 16 March 1978

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1264386

English Heritage Legacy ID: 428004

Location: Totnes, South Hams, Devon, TQ9

County: Devon

District: South Hams

Civil Parish: Totnes

Built-Up Area: Totnes

Traditional County: Devon

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Devon

Church of England Parish: Totnes St Mary

Church of England Diocese: Exeter

Find accommodation in
Harberton

Listing Text


1.
5180 PRIORY DRIVE
Priory House
(formerly listed as
The Priory)
SX 8060 NW 1/87 7/1/52
SX 8060 4/87

II*

2.
Probably later C17 house with earlier C18 range added on east side giving an L shaped
plan. Later C17 building is reputed to incorporate remains of St Mary's Priory.
2 storey block with additional range on the south side and a 1 storey pent roof
extension to the west. Welsh slate roofs. Devonian random limestone rubble, partly
rendered. Old stack on north side with raking offsets and red brick chimney addition.
2 window front on north side. Casement windows with timber lintols and some glazing
bars. Mullioned windows to western extension with stay bars. Entrance doorway
in western extension with moulded surround, and plank door with iron pegs and oldought
iron hinges. Earlier C18 building 2 storeys and dormers. Symmetrical, 5 window
east facade. Welsh slate roof with coped gables, kneelers and finials. Old red
brick stacks, on west side with moulded, multiform chimneys. Coursed, squared Devonian
limestone rubble. Moulded wooden eaves cornice. Gauged, flat brick arches to slightly
recessed sash windows with exposed boxing, stone keys and glazing bars. Flat-headed
dormers. Former central cupola now removed. Early C19 Greek Doric portico, later
fenestrated to form a porch. Interior of earlier C18 range with good, panelled
ground floor room. Panelling with dentil cornice and fluted pilasters flanking
chimney piece (modern fireplace) with bolection-moulded over-mantle panel. Good
Rococo style ceiling decorated with eagles and medallion of Charles I (of Bowden
dated 1735). Fine hall with original bracketed cornice; open staircase with open
string and slender turned balusters (3 to a tread) with columnar newels and ramped
handrail.


Listing NGR: SX8024560606

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.