This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 51.5137 / 51°30'49"N
Longitude: -0.1119 / 0°6'42"W
OS Eastings: 531112
OS Northings: 181109
OS Grid: TQ311811
Mapcode National: GBR MC.0K
Mapcode Global: VHGR0.06PY
Plus Code: 9C3XGV7Q+F6
Entry Name: Temple Bar Memorial in Centre of Road
Listing Date: 5 February 1970
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1264445
English Heritage Legacy ID: 427849
Location: St. James's, Westminster, London, WC2B
Electoral Ward/Division: Farringdon Without
Built-Up Area: City of London
Traditional County: Middlesex
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): City of London
Church of England Parish: St Bride Fleet Street
Church of England Diocese: London
The entry was subject to a Minor Enhancement on 05/06/2017.
TQ 3181 SW,
CITY OF WESTMINSTER,
FLEET STREET EC4,
Temple Bar Memorial in centre of road
City of London boundary memorial on site of the C17 Temple Bar gateway, unveiled in 1880. The gateway was dismantled in 1878 and subsequently removed, in the late 1880s, to Theobalds Park, Hertfordshire by Sir Henry and Lady Valerie Meux. In 2004 it was re-erected near its original location as an entrance to the Paternoster Square redevelopment. The memorial was designed by Sir Horace Jones with sculpture by Sir E Boehm. Granite and bronze. Stone pedestal has niches with statues of Queen Victoria and Prince Edward (later Edward VII) and is surmounted by a silvered griffin rampant by C B Birch.
Listing NGR: TQ3111381108
The asset was previously listed twice also under List entry 1359156 in the City of London. This entry was removed from the List on 26 May 2017.
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings