This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 52.9198 / 52°55'11"N
Longitude: -0.9405 / 0°56'25"W
OS Eastings: 471335
OS Northings: 336343
OS Grid: SK713363
Mapcode National: GBR BLW.WKQ
Mapcode Global: WHFJ6.JWC0
Plus Code: 9C4XW395+WR
Entry Name: Wiverton Hall Including Service Range to Rear Left
Listing Date: 12 February 1952
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1264494
English Heritage Legacy ID: 427667
Location: Wiverton Hall, Rushcliffe, Nottinghamshire, NG13
Civil Parish: Wiverton Hall
Traditional County: Nottinghamshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Nottinghamshire
WIVERTON HALL BINGHAM ROAD
SK73NW (east side, off)
2/154 Wiverton Hall
12.2.52 range to rear left
Small country house. Late C15 gatehouse, converted 1814 in Tudor
Revival Style. Rendered brick C19 work, ashlar gatehouse. Hipped
roof behind a deep castellated parapet. Tall ridge stacks. Two
storeys. Symmetrical 5-bay facade the corners and centre bay marked
by octagonal buttresses which rise as tall octagonal turrets with
broad castellated tops. Central rib-vaulted porte-cochere, again
with corner buttresses and turrets. Above is a gothic arched window
with glazing bars. To the left and right, two tall 3-light mullioned
windows with square heads and hood moulds and gothic-arched lights.
Shorter, similar windows to 1st floor. To the left is a single storey
addition with a single 3-light window as before. Right return of 1 bay
with a 3-light ground floor window as before, and a further polygonal
bay set back with a 2-light gothic window to each floor. A similar
polygonal bay to left return with tall stair window. To the rear,
the former gatehouse is of stone with 3 round, angle-turrets (to each
end and between the 2 bays). The centre turret contains the main,
arched entrance with moulded surround. The left bay has a wide arched
entrance, now part-blocked, with a moulded surround. Above is a 4-
light deeply recessed and roll-moulded mullioned window. The right bay
has single lights at ground and intermediate levels and at the upper
level a 2-light mullioned window in line with, and similar to, that of
the left bay. Two cross-loops to the centre turret. Castelled
parapet. The service range is to the rear left and is L-shaped and
of stuccoed brickwork with a slate roof. Approx. 3 bays long, with
mainly tripartite casements.
Interior: octagonal entrance hall with ribbed ceiling on triple
colonnettes. 6-panel doors with moulded architraves. In the centre
of the building is an open-well Regency staircase with traceried iron
balustrade, wooden handrail, ramped at the top and rolled at the bottom,
and stone treads with shaped soffits. The former carriageway of the
gatehouse, now a room, has a groin vaulted ceiling and a Regency
N Pevsner. The Buildings of England, 1979.
Listing NGR: SK7133536343
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.
Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings