This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 52.5638 / 52°33'49"N
Longitude: -0.7093 / 0°42'33"W
OS Eastings: 487587
OS Northings: 297005
OS Grid: SP875970
Mapcode National: GBR CSZ.7HN
Mapcode Global: WHGM6.2TJC
Entry Name: The Bede House
Listing Date: 10 November 1955
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1264528
English Heritage Legacy ID: 427654
Location: Lyddington, Rutland, LE15
Civil Parish: Lyddington
Built-Up Area: Lyddington
Traditional County: Rutland
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Rutland
Church of England Parish: Lyddington St Andrew
Church of England Diocese: Peterborough
LYDDINGTON CHURCH LANE
SP 8697-8797 SP 8696-8796
The Bede House.
Solar wing of former palace of the Bishops of Lincoln, converted to bedehouse
c.1600. Possibly late C12-C13 in origin. Bishop Burghersh was given licence to
crenellate 1336 and basis of surviving structure is early-mid C14. Main upper
chambers refenestrated and probably re-roofed late C15. Further alterations
early C16 and c.1600. NE end, formerly chapel, much rebuilt 1767 as dated on
chimney; entrance verandah added to NW side 1745. Coursed ironstone rubble with
pale limestone dressings, NE end rebuilt in ashlar. Collyweston slate roof,
ashlar chimneys. 2-storey SW bay, probably built as entrance tower but much
altered; main block of 2 storey and attic, with great chamber and presence
chamber over individual bede-houses, former chapel at NE end, and gabled stair
projection to NW. Former hall, also to NW has been completely demolished. SE
side: left bay projects, and has monopitch roof, off-set buttresses, and moulded
eaves and string. Late C15 window of 4 cusped lights with Tudor hoodmould to
first floor; blocked rectangular windows, one with hoodmould; blocked doorway
with moulded 2-centred arch; later entry to through passage at right. Main block
of 5 bays has 2 lateral chimneys with fluted octagonal shafts, and ridge chimneys
with rectangular shafts. Off-set buttresses with cusped gablets. Ground floor
has 4 2-light stone mullion windows, the left with ovolo mouldings, remainder
chamfered with Tudor hoodmoulds. 4 late C15 4-light windows above have transoms,
cusping, King mullions and hoodmoulds with carved head stops. Centre bay has
canted limestone projection with matching bay window to first floor and blind
lower storey. Bay at right end, rebuilt 1767 has matching buttresses, 2-light
windows and gabled lateral stack with 4 fluted shafts on twin base. One gabled
dormer with paired leaded lights. NW side: Main block has lateral chimney and 2
dormer gables with C16 3-light stone mullion windows, each light with 4-centred
head. Verandah with pent roof shelters ground floor with
irregular single lights and C17 3-light ovolo-moulded window to left. Central
late C14-C15 moulded stone doorway with 4-centred arch and traceried spandrels.
Smaller doorway with 4-centred chamfered arch to right. To left is stair
projection with blind C16 2-light window to ground floor, and late C15 3-light
arched window above. Lean-to along right side, with passage to door and large
semi-circular arch to stairs.
Interior: ground floor bedehouses have heavy cross beams in SW bays, one bay with
late C14-C15 4-centred stone fireplace. Stairs lead up to pair of early-mid C14
doorways with moulded 2-centred arches and heraldic shields in spandrels. Great
chamber and presence chamber have splendid early C16 wooden ceilings with moulded
ribs and richly carved coving. Coving has series of blind tracery fans and
vine-trail frieze below. Late C15-C16 stained glass. Late C14-C15 stone
fireplace with square head in great chamber, also an internal porch. Presence
chamber beyond has late C15 stone fireplace with moulded 4-centred arch and blind
tracery panels with shields above. Above ceilings is fine C15 roof structure
with arch-braced collar trusses, butt purlins and arched wind-braces.
Scheduled ancient monument No 180. Under guardianship of English Heritage.
(C and P Woodfield, The Palace of the Bishops of Lincoln at Lyddington, Leicester
Transactions LVII 1981-82. Country Life July 24th 1909, p 126-134).
Listing NGR: SP8758797005
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.
Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings