History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church House

A Grade II* Listed Building in Totnes, Devon

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 50.4316 / 50°25'53"N

Longitude: -3.6878 / 3°41'15"W

OS Eastings: 280225

OS Northings: 60444

OS Grid: SX802604

Mapcode National: GBR QM.T695

Mapcode Global: FRA 375X.750

Entry Name: Church House

Listing Date: 7 January 1952

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1264772

English Heritage Legacy ID: 426970

Location: Totnes, South Hams, Devon, TQ9

County: Devon

District: South Hams

Civil Parish: Totnes

Built-Up Area: Totnes

Traditional County: Devon

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Devon

Church of England Parish: Totnes St Mary

Church of England Diocese: Exeter

Find accommodation in
Harberton

Listing Text


1.
5180 HIGH STREET
(North Side)
No 11
(Church House)
SX 8060 SW 1/62 7.1.52.

II* GV

2.
Mid C16 merchant's house, altered. 3 storeys. 3 window bays. Welsh slate roof
with old rendered masonry chimneys. Masonry party wall retaining moulded corbels
of former 1st and 2nd floor jetties. Timber-framed front, 1st and 2nd floorrenestrated
earlier C19; modern ground floor. Coved wooden eaves cornice. slate-hung 2nd floor
with moulded string at flow level. Jettied 1st floor with carved wooden brackets
carrying moulded bressumer. 1st and 2nd floors with flush framed sash windows with
side-lights and glazing bars; 1st floor with single light sash window. Modern ground
floor shopfront. Interior with mid C18 staircase with closed string, turned balusters
and squared novel. 6 panel doors with raised and fielded panelling. 1st floor rooms
with Elizabethan decorated plaster ceiling panels with rib decoration divided by
ceiling beams. Remains of contemporary plaster overmantel with date "1586" 2nd
floor with fine chimneypiece of Beer stone: 4 centred arch with moulded reveals
in square opening with ogee moulding snd stops. Strapwork and shields in relief
in spandrels. The house is recorded as being acquired in 1554 by William Ball,
and was probably erected shortly before this date.


Listing NGR: SX8022560443

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.