This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 52.9045 / 52°54'16"N
Longitude: -0.9291 / 0°55'44"W
OS Eastings: 472127
OS Northings: 334652
OS Grid: SK721346
Mapcode National: GBR BM2.ZWT
Mapcode Global: WHFJD.P8S6
Entry Name: Church of St Andrew
Listing Date: 1 December 1965
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1264793
English Heritage Legacy ID: 426852
Location: Langar cum Barnstone, Rushcliffe, Nottinghamshire, NG13
Civil Parish: Langar cum Barnstone
Traditional County: Nottinghamshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Nottinghamshire
Church of England Parish: Langar cum Barnstone
Church of England Diocese: Southwell and Nottingham
LANGAR CUM BARNSTONE CHURCH LANE
SK73SW (west end)
5/108 Church of
Church. Mainly C13 but heavily restored in the 1860s by the Rev.
Thomas Butler. Coursed squared ironstone with limestone dressings.
Cruciform plan: 5-bay nave with north and south aisles, south porch,
square crossing tower north and south transepts each 2 bays long and
2-bay chancel. Parapets are all embattled. Early English, triple-
lancet clerestorey windows. Later 2-light nave windows with geometrical
tracery. C15 porch with excellent C15 traceried door with ogee-headed
wicket door. Square, Early English crossing tower with part-blind
arcaded 2nd stage and ornamental frieze to top stage. The south
transept has, on south side, triple lancets with colonnettes and
nailhead decoration. The north transept has lancets on east side
but on west side a part-restored Perpendicular 3-light transomed window.
The chancel has Perpendicular windows including the 5-light east window.
Interior: late C13 5-bay north and south arcades on round piers with
moulded capitals and double-chamfered arches. Heavily moulded Early
English crossing arches with nailhead decoration. Good moulded arch
from south aisle to south transept. Moulded beams and purlins with
lower, secondary tie-beams. One beam is inscribed with the names of
church wardens and carpenters and the date Sept 29 1750. Perpendicular
fragments in screens. Heavy C17 alter rail with turned balusters and
square newels with ball finials. Octagonal Jacobean pulpit with
alternate plain and carved panels, and bookrests on shaped brackets.
The 2 back panels are taller and rise as a back-board. Oak panelled
Jacobean reading desk. Good oak eagle lectern of 1931.
Monuments: north transept:
1. Built into the north wall a plain chest tomb to George Chaworth
Lord of Wereton and Anesley d.1521 and his wife Katherine d.1517.
2. Marble, 2 recumbent effigies of John Chaworth, Knight d.1558 and
his wife. 15 children as weepers around the base. He is in
armour with his head on his helmet.
3. An alabaster, recumbent effigy of a bearded gent. in armour on a
tomb chest, classical with corner piers, to: Sir George Chaworth
South transept: an excellent monument to "the Right Hon. and Noble Lord
Thomas, Lord Scroope Baron of Boulton, Masham and Upshail" d.2nd of
Sept. 1609. A free standing black and white marble monument with
triple Composite columns at each corner supporting the canopy.
Achievements and supporters at the top. He is lying, armour-clad
beside his wife and with their son Emmanuel kneeling at their feet.
Two Roman style busts on tapering shafts one to the Rt. Hon. Scroope
Lord Viscount Howe d.1712 and the other to the Rt.Hon. Scroope Lord
Viscount Howe d.1734.
A brass on the wall is to the Honourable Anne Mordaunt, daughter of
Scroope Lord Viscount Howe d.1753.
N Pevsner. The Buildings of England, 1979.
Listing NGR: SK7212734652
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.
Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings