History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Mill Farmhouse and Adjoining Mill to South East

A Grade II Listed Building in Toddington, Central Bedfordshire

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.9536 / 51°57'12"N

Longitude: -0.5147 / 0°30'52"W

OS Eastings: 502169

OS Northings: 229388

OS Grid: TL021293

Mapcode National: GBR G47.GPC

Mapcode Global: VHFR6.1586

Entry Name: Mill Farmhouse and Adjoining Mill to South East

Listing Date: 14 October 1991

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1264829

English Heritage Legacy ID: 36193

Location: Toddington, Central Bedfordshire, LU5

County: Central Bedfordshire

Civil Parish: Toddington

Traditional County: Bedfordshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Bedfordshire

Church of England Parish: Toddington

Church of England Diocese: St.Albans

Find accommodation in
Harlington

Listing Text

TL 02 NW TODDINGTON FANCOTT ROAD

22/400 Mill Farmhouse and Adjoining
Mill to South East


- II

Farmhouse and attached water grist mill. Circa C17, remodelled
and extended in early to mid C19. painted brick, house may
contain some timber framing. Slate roofs with gabled ends, rear
wing of house hipped. Brick gable-end and lateral stacks. 2-room
plan house, the right hand room heated from a rear lateral stack,
the left room with gable and stack. At right hand end the water
mill forms a cross-wing with an overshot wheel at the back. In
circa early to mid C19 both were remodelled and a wing was added
to the rear of the house. 2-storey house with 2 window front, 12-
pane sashes on first floor and 16-pane sashes on ground floor
with 6-panel door between, its top panel glazed. Rear wing has
casement with glazing bars. The 3 storey mill forms gable-ended
cross wing to right, with ground floor doorway on left return,
first floor doorway in gable end on higher ground level and loft
doorway above; at the back there is a deep wheel pit for a
missing overshot wheel. Interior: right hand room of house has
a large lateral fireplace with timber lintel covered by arris
moulded chimneypiece with pilasters and shelf and chamfered axial
ceiling beam without stops. C19 joinery including panelled doors.
Left hand room has small C19 chimney-piece and boxed-in axial
beam. Mill has large floor beams, the stone floor with chamfers.
Meal floor has hurst frame with stone nut; the stone floor has
two stones and the loft has been removed. Mill has king-post roof
structure with struts supporting clasped side purlins.
Note: There is said to have been a water mill on this site since
1581.


Listing NGR: TL0216929388

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.