History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Maberly Chapel and Attached School Building

A Grade II Listed Building in Hackney, London

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.546 / 51°32'45"N

Longitude: -0.0781 / 0°4'41"W

OS Eastings: 533364

OS Northings: 184764

OS Grid: TQ333847

Mapcode National: GBR HD.8Z3

Mapcode Global: VHGQT.LDKN

Entry Name: Maberly Chapel and Attached School Building

Listing Date: 10 June 1988

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1264887

English Heritage Legacy ID: 426680

Location: Hackney, London, N1

County: London

District: Hackney

Electoral Ward/Division: De Beauvoir

Built-Up Area: Hackney

Traditional County: Middlesex

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Greater London

Church of England Parish: Mildmay Grove St Jude

Church of England Diocese: London

Find accommodation in
Shoreditch

Listing Text

The following building shall be added;
BALLS POND ROAD
1.
5013 (South Side)
No 47A (Maberly Chapel
and attached school
TQ 3384 24/54 building)
II

2.
Independent chapel. c1820-5; school to rear built in 1844. Flemish bond yellow
brick with stucco facade; hipped corrugated asbestos roof. Classical style.
Pediment front elevation, of symmetrical 2-storey, 3-window range. Flights to
stone steps, flanked by wrought-iron railings, to two wooden entrance porches:
each porch has panelled doors, 2 of originally 4 corner pilasters and heavy
moulded entablature. Central ground-floor bay has late C19 plate-glass 4-pane
sash set in eared architrave; similar first-floor sashes set in eared architraves
with floating cornices. Pilasters at each end of facade, rise to raised band
beneath pediment, which has legend "MABERLY CHAPEL" set in tympanum. 3-window
range side walls. Interior: Galleries on 3 sides, with cornices and classical
detailing to balcony fronts, supported by cast-iron columns. Winder stairs and
some original panelling, especially around east vestibule. Subsidiary features:
school to rear, built 1844 of Flemish bond brick with hipped double-pitched pantile
roof. Rear elevation, of 2-window range, has gauged cambered arches over blocked
windows; left side elevation has pairs of windows placed either side of semi-
circular arched doorways inscribed "Boys" and "Girls". History: became an
Independent Chapel in 1826: its first minister was Robert Philip (1826-55), a
well-known writer of sermons and popular religious manuals sold in England and
the United States. A sabbath school was established in 1835, and £3,000 spent
on new school buildings in 1844. The chapel takes its name from William Maberly,
on whose land it was built.


Listing NGR: TQ3336484764

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.