This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 51.5706 / 51°34'14"N
Longitude: -0.0802 / 0°4'48"W
OS Eastings: 533143
OS Northings: 187497
OS Grid: TQ331874
Mapcode National: GBR HB.NFX
Mapcode Global: VHGQM.KSFB
Entry Name: Church of St Andrew
Listing Date: 9 December 1988
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1264896
English Heritage Legacy ID: 426701
Location: Hackney, London, N16
Electoral Ward/Division: Woodberry Down
Built-Up Area: Hackney
Traditional County: Middlesex
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Greater London
Church of England Parish: St Andrew Stoke Newington
Church of England Diocese: London
This list entry was subject to a Minor Amendment on 26/04/2017
TQ 3387 7/600
Church of St Andrew
Church. 1883-84 by Sir Arthur Blomfield in Early English style Kentish ragstone with Bath stone dressings. Slate roofs cresting to ridge.
Aisled nave, chancel with lower roof line, north and south transepts with spirelet to east of south transept. South porch. West front. Flat facade relieved by stepped angle buttresses. Central doorway, with simple moulded hood with foliate stops, beneath canopy marked by moulded dripstone, flanked by pierced finials. Above, three two-light y-traceried lancets, the central light taller, with foliated rondel to each side, the whole beneath flush ragstone arch with Bath stone band beneath it, terminating in small foliate stops. Horizontal Bath stone band to left and right. Apex cross. Doorway with moulded hood to west end of north aisle. Plain lancet to west end of south aisle.
Five-bay nave. Plain aisle lancets, paired between stepped buttresses and linked by flush stone band at springing level. Single lancet to left of porch. South porch. Left and right paired lancets with plain stone dressings. Stepped angle buttresses with triangular finials. Simply moulded arched entrance. Vesica above bearing figure. Four paired clerestory windows, with a single window to east. Two-lights beneath cusped circle, with plain stone dressings and between that ragstone pilasters. Short sanctuary with single lancet to south. Five-light east window.
South transept. Plain set-back buttresses to each face. Three-light plate tracery window beneath slightly depressed arched head with simple chamfered moulding. Encircled trefoil to left and right of taller central light. Entrance to left. Polygonal spirelet acting as bell tower with openings to each face, topped by leaded roof.
Interior. Richly decorated, in contrast with the simple exterior. Five-bay nave and single chancel bay. Quadrate piers with tall moulded bases and scroll moulded capitals; arcade of double chamfered orders. Five and a half bay king post roof. Boarded
chancel roof. Three-stage sedilia and piscina incorporated in the decorative scheme. Wall decoration by Heaton, Butler and Bayne, executed gradually after consecration. Nave walls representing characters from Old and New Testaments. Reredos of crucifixion and the Apostles. Mostly applied directly to walls, but some panels on canvas, set into the decoration, particularly to chancel, sanctuary and north transept. West wall has added World War I memorial.
Glass. North aisle: 1886-1902, eight windows by Heaton Butler and Bayne. South Aisle, fragments of glass by same artists surviving, substantially destroyed during World War II. Single lancet to east wall, of St. Andrew, north side of chancel, of Archangel Gabriel and two baptistry windows also by Heaton, Butler and Bayne. North clerestory windows, c1918, by Burlison and Grylls. West window by Burlison and Grylls as war memorial. East window 1951 by William Wilson.
Rear of nave seating survives. Font, formerly to west end of nave, re-sited 1891 and enclosed by metal screen in 1920. Square marble font on multiple piers. Canopy is later.
Listing NGR: TQ3314387497
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings