History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

229-247, REGENT STREET W1 (See details for further address information)

A Grade II Listed Building in City of Westminster, London

More Photos »
Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.5143 / 51°30'51"N

Longitude: -0.142 / 0°8'31"W

OS Eastings: 529024

OS Northings: 181120

OS Grid: TQ290811

Mapcode National: GBR DC.9B

Mapcode Global: VHGQZ.H69H

Entry Name: 229-247, REGENT STREET W1 (See details for further address information)

Listing Date: 22 November 1973

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1265197

English Heritage Legacy ID: 425682

Location: Westminster, London, W1B

County: London

District: City of Westminster

Electoral Ward/Division: West End

Built-Up Area: City of Westminster

Traditional County: Middlesex

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Greater London

Church of England Parish: St George, Hanover Square

Church of England Diocese: London

Find accommodation in
Marylebone

Listing Text

TQ 2981 SW CITY OF WESTMINSTER REGENT STREET, W1
57/39 (west side)
Nos. 229 to 247 (odd)
22.11.73 (including No. 1 Hanover
Street and No. 27
Princes Street)
GV II
Block of offices and shops. The centre domed block of 1898 (Nos. 235-241) by G.D.
Martin, wings added with the Blomfield-Tanner rebuilding of the street, c.1922-23 by
D.J. Davis with Yates, Cook and Darbyshire. Portland stone, slate roofs. 1898 block
in busy Free Classical style with vaguely French Empire details. The wings in the
conventional Regent Street classical style with Beaux Arts touches. 1898 block 9 bays
wide, the later wings of 7 and 5 bays, splayed corners, 10-window returns to Hanover
Street and 9 windows to Princes Street. 5 storeys and attics. 1898 block has arched
central entrance with broken segmental pediment, contained with mid to late c.20 shop
fronts in pilastered giant arcade embracing 1st floor with mosaic decoration to
spandrels. Centrepiece continued through 2nd and 3rd floors by an oriel bow;
architraved casement windows, enriched flanking centre and articulated through 3rd
and 4th floors by Ionic pilasters supporting bracketed entablature; 2 tiers of
attics with small copper domed turrets flanking central coppered dome on octagonal
drum. Wings have mid to late c.20 shop fronts articulated by Doric columns carrying
entablature, rusticated 1st floor. Upper floors have architraved metal casement
windows. Main cornice carved arc from 1898 block. Stone pedimented dormers in
mansard with Beaux Arts ridge crestings.


Listing NGR: TQ2900781136

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.