This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 53.7664 / 53°45'59"N
Longitude: -1.9655 / 1°57'55"W
OS Eastings: 402371
OS Northings: 430011
OS Grid: SE023300
Mapcode National: GBR GSQW.8K
Mapcode Global: WHB87.SL7F
Entry Name: Castle Carr Water Garden and Pumphouse
Listing Date: 18 May 1990
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1265210
English Heritage Legacy ID: 425724
Location: Calderdale, HX2
Electoral Ward/Division: Calder
Traditional County: Yorkshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): West Yorkshire
Church of England Parish: Luddenden with Luddendenfoot
Church of England Diocese: Leeds
The following item shall be added:
SE 03 SW WADSWORTH CP off CASTLE CARR ROAD
5/271 Castle Carr Water Garden,
Ornamental water garden, situated between two reservoirs. Completed 1870.
Designed by James Hogg of Halifax. The garden consists of a main circular
pool with a central single jet fountain which rose to a height of 100 feet,
reputed the second highest in England. This pool is fed by a stepped
cascade from the north with flanking staircases and at the top of a double
arched tunnel/bridge with plain ashlar parapets. To the north west, north
east, south west and south east a similar smaller circular pool each with a
single jet fountain. Beyond to the north west another small circular pool
and an octagonal pumphouse. This rock-faced pumphouse has a chamfered
plinth, bracketed cornice and chamfered parapet. The entrance front has
double plank doors, chamfered jambs and an inscribed lintel and gable, 1870
HALIFAX CORPORATION, LUDDENDEN VALLEY EXTENSIONS, and the side fronts have
single blocked windows. The south end of the pool has a further smaller
and lower circular pool within it, with curved waterfalls. At the north
edge of this smaller pool is a viewing platform reached by a series of 3
stone flying staircases linked by small curved bridges in the lower pool.
These form a central island with 4 cut-water buttresses which project above
the parapet wall. To the south of this pool is long narrow canal, which
discharges its water down another cascade at its southern end into the
lower reservoir. All the stone abutment walls are rock-faced ashlar, with
chamfered ashlar parapets. This water garden was designed by James Hogg and
built by Halifax Water Corporation, for Mr J P Edwards the owner of Castle
Carr, within whose grounds the garden is sited. It was constructed as
compensation for using his land in the damning of the Luddenden Valley in
order to provide further water for the fast expanding city of Halifax.
Also part listed in Halifax CB.
Listing NGR: SE0237130011
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings