This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 53.8568 / 53°51'24"N
Longitude: -1.4491 / 1°26'56"W
OS Eastings: 436334
OS Northings: 440202
OS Grid: SE363402
Mapcode National: GBR LRBV.26
Mapcode Global: WHDBC.QB55
Entry Name: The Bishop's House
Listing Date: 22 July 1986
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1265220
English Heritage Legacy ID: 425475
Location: Thorner, Leeds, LS14
Civil Parish: Thorner
Traditional County: Yorkshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): West Yorkshire
Church of England Parish: Thorner St Peter
Church of England Diocese: Leeds
THORNER CARR LANE
SE34SE LS14 (north side, off)
The Bishop's House
Former Dower-house of the Earls of Mexborough, now the residence of the Bishop
Emeritus of Leeds. c1775,raised refronted and extended c1840. Punch-dressed
stone with a herringbone "V"- cut dressing to C18 work, tooled with small squares
to 1840 work with ashlar dressings. Welsh blue-slate roof. 2 storeys and 2½
storeys to front of main house. 3-bay wing left of 3-bay house, with 2-bay house
to rear linked to main house. 3-gabled frontage. Central doorway has pilastered
doorway with frieze and cornice. Above, 12-pane sash in raised stone architrave
surround with smaller window above under small shaped gable. Outer bays, set
forward, have tripartite sashes in raised architrave surrounds to first 2 floors
with square 16-pane sashes above. Coped gables with kneelers. Two lateral
octagonal stacks to each side. Wing set back to left: 3 bays of windows with
wedge-shaped lintels, those to ground-floor broken through to form long lights
to light private chapel, those above with projecting sills and 12-pane sashes.
Hipped roof with lateral stack to rear pitch. Rear of house: tall central arched
stair-window set between 2 gables, tripartite sashes to left, extension to right
linking rear range. Right-hand return (of house) has C18 stonework and original
window with architrave and casement-moulded cornice with C19 sash window above.
Inserted French window to right up 7 well-dressed steps. Link has doorway with
overlight. Rear range has 2 bays of tripartite sash windows with long monolithic
lintels cut with false voussoirs. Ashlar ridge stack extended in brick.
Interior: C19 rooms, several cellar steps inscribed with the date 1775. The front
of the house, particularly in its stone dressing and treatment of the gables, is
very similar to Field Head, Thorner Lane (q.v.) and may be by the same architect or
Listing NGR: SE3633440202
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings