This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 50.9749 / 50°58'29"N
Longitude: -2.71 / 2°42'36"W
OS Eastings: 350246
OS Northings: 119742
OS Grid: ST502197
Mapcode National: GBR MK.LZ35
Mapcode Global: FRA 566J.Q1M
Plus Code: 9C2VX7FQ+XX
Entry Name: Tintinhull House
Listing Date: 19 April 1961
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1265231
English Heritage Legacy ID: 425669
Location: Tintinhull, South Somerset, Somerset, BA22
Civil Parish: Tintinhull
Built-Up Area: Tintinhull
Traditional County: Somerset
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Somerset
Tintinhull House, Farm Street.
Tintinhull House, Farm Street.
TINTINHULL CP FARM STREET (North side)
14/346 Tintinhull House
Detached house. C17, reshaped early C18 and later. Ham stone ashlar; stone slate roofs between stepped coped gables;
stone chimney stacks. Double roof plan with additions. Two storeys with attics; east entrance elevation 5 bays, of
which bay 1 is a projecting gable. Continuous string to ground floor and eaves course; single-storey flat roofed
addition bays 2 and 3 probably early C20; hollow-chamfer mullioned windows; bay 1 has 3-light below, with moulded
cambered-arched door to right, and above a 5-light window, with 3-light to attic, all with labels; small blind window
in return at first floor level; bays 2 and 4 have 3-light windows, and bay 3 a 2-light transomed and mullioned, all
with labels; to lower bay 4 and a 5-light window with chamfered cambered-arched doorway to right; small square window
upper bay 5 and one blocked below; attic dormer window with flat roof between bays 2 and 3; in corner a stone water
cistern. West front, added c1720, also 5 bays but in classical style: this has hipped stone tile roof and chimneys with
moulded caps: high rusticated plinth, rusticated outer pilasters, eaves cornice; centre 3 bays enclosed by plain
pilasters with Tuscan caps carrying simple pediment above eaves course; 2-light mullioned and transomed windows, beaded
with architraves, rectangular-leaded with iron-framed opening lights having curl stays; to lower bay 3 a doorway, up 5
steps, with part-glazed panelled door, surround having attached Tuscan columns and entablature with segmental pediment;
in main upper pediment a circular attic window with iron-framed casements, scrolled decorative frame; and in roof
between bays 1 and 2 and 4 and 5 are 2-light dormer windows with pediments over; small 2-light basement windows in
plinth bays 2 and 4. South elevation, to street, has two prominent gables, each crowned by chimney stacks, and several
mullioned windows; north elevation has one gable, with 3-light hollow-chamfer mullioned window in recess above and
similar ovolo-mould window under label below, and in western section are four 12-pane sash windows with thick glazing
bars in nave mould recesses. Interior in two distinct halves, the east C17 and the west C17; two staircases, the older
in the south-east corner, has-carved oak 3-centre-arched overthrow in moulded frame at foot of stairs, the balusters
later; the second staircase in centre of east section is early C18, dog-leg pattern, with turned balusters and deep
moulded curved handrail, bottom step with very generous side curl, and fielded panelled dado to wall sides. Principal
rooms in western section; the centre room has timber cornice and fielded dado panelling, Keinton stone flag floor,
simple surround to fireplace, and on axis with outer door a doorway into the stair hall has an ornate fanlight. The
dining room in the south-west corner is similar in detail, with a shell-hood recess with shaped shelves in north wall.
The north west corner drawing room fitted out c1740, with 'new' sash windows in north wall - here the cornice is more
elaborate, panelling is full height, with much use of egg-and dart decoration to panels and window openings, and the
fireplace surround, still restrained, is more elaborate in detail. First floor rooms not seen. A significant house in
its own right, with celebrated garden developed by two early C20 owners: it was the property of the Napper family (who
also owned Tintinhull Court, q.v) by 1630, although they did not always occupy it, and seems to have been sold by them
sometime after 1814: the C20 gardeners were the Revd. Dr. S.J.M. Price, up to l924, and from 1933 Mr. and Mrs. F. E.
Reiss. Gardens included in Register of Parks and Gardens of special historic interest in England, HBMC, 1985 (Grade
II). The house now the property of the National Trust. (Oswald A. Country Life 19th April 1956, article on p798 et seq;
Journal of the Royal Horticultural Society, January 1955).
Listing NGR: ST5024619742
Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.
Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings