History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

156-170, REGENT STREET W1 (See details for further address information)

A Grade II Listed Building in City of Westminster, London

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.5121 / 51°30'43"N

Longitude: -0.1391 / 0°8'20"W

OS Eastings: 529231

OS Northings: 180879

OS Grid: TQ292808

Mapcode National: GBR DD.Y4

Mapcode Global: VHGQZ.J8T6

Entry Name: 156-170, REGENT STREET W1 (See details for further address information)

Listing Date: 22 November 1973

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1265254

English Heritage Legacy ID: 425630

Location: Westminster, London, W1S

County: London

District: City of Westminster

Electoral Ward/Division: West End

Built-Up Area: City of Westminster

Traditional County: Middlesex

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Greater London

Church of England Parish: St Anne Soho

Church of England Diocese: London

Find accommodation in
Marylebone

Listing Text

TQ 2980 NW CITY OF WESTMINSTER REGENT STREET Wl
70/94 (east side)
22-11-73 Nos 156 to 170 (even)
(including Nos 1 to 13
(odd) Beak Street and
62 and 70 Warwick St.)
GV II
Block of offices and shops. Begun 1904, by Crickmay and Sons.
Portland stone and slate roof, with red polished granite to
ground and 1st floors. Baroque-classical. 4 storeys, attics and
dormer in steep mansard. Symmetrical facade 11 windows wide with
slightly advanced 3 window flanking bays and bowed and domed
corners. Mid C20 shop fronts to ground floor. The ground and
1st floors to corner, end and central bays have semicircular
arched recesses flanked by rusticated pilasters carrying
entablature. The architraved sash windows of upper floors have
cornices on 2nd floor and central segmental pediment. The 3
window end bays have giant pilasters with block dressings rising
through lst and 2nd floors carrying entablature and segmental
pediments with carved tympana; balustraded parapets with lion
finials flanking. The bowed corners have engaged Ionic columns
through 2nd and 3rd floors carrying continuous entablature; columns
carry on through their 4th and 5th floors to copper domes with
cornices, scrolled buttresses and enriched lunettes.


Listing NGR: TQ2923180879

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.