History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Thrapston Baptist Church

A Grade II Listed Building in Thrapston, Northamptonshire

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.3965 / 52°23'47"N

Longitude: -0.5329 / 0°31'58"W

OS Eastings: 499924

OS Northings: 278619

OS Grid: SP999786

Mapcode National: GBR FYS.Q31

Mapcode Global: VHFP1.Q155

Entry Name: Thrapston Baptist Church

Listing Date: 23 May 1967

Last Amended: 31 July 1987

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1265621

English Heritage Legacy ID: 424473

Location: Thrapston, East Northamptonshire, Northamptonshire, NN14

County: Northamptonshire

District: East Northamptonshire

Civil Parish: Thrapston

Built-Up Area: Thrapston

Traditional County: Northamptonshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Northamptonshire

Church of England Parish: Thrapston St James

Church of England Diocese: Peterborough

Find accommodation in
Thrapston

Listing Text

SP9978 THRAPSTON HUNTINGDON ROAD
(North side)

16/180 Thrapston Baptist Church
23/05/67 (Formerly listed as Baptist
Church)

GV II


Baptist church. Datestone 1787, with mid C19 extension to rear. Stone with brick
facades and lead and slate roofs. Single-unit, single-storey chapel with gallery
and 2-storey school room to rear. Main front is a 5-window range at first floor
of restored cross casements with plain arch heads and keyblocks. 2 similar
windows to centre of ground floor are flanked by 6-panel doors with similar
arch-head fanlights with keyblocks. Similar arch-head opening to far left gives
access to through passage to rear. Flat roof not visible behind rebuilt brick
parapet. Partially legible inscribed tablet with date, to centre of parapet. Mid
C19 school room extension to rear. Interior of chapel has gallery on 3 sides
with fielded panelled front with reeded frieze below. Square reeded supporting
columns. Interior partially remodelled mid C20. Various late C18 and C19
inscribed marble tablets around the wall including Mary and Thos. Ekins died
1794 and Rev. Reynold Hogg died 1843, who was the first minister and first
treasurer of the Baptist Missionary Society. The chapel opened on March 27th
1788. The former Manse, No.31, (q.v.), is attached to the left of the main front
of the Church.


Listing NGR: SP9992478619

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.