This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 53.7551 / 53°45'18"N
Longitude: -2.0359 / 2°2'9"W
OS Eastings: 397729
OS Northings: 428747
OS Grid: SD977287
Mapcode National: GBR GT70.0N
Mapcode Global: WHB86.PWQ4
Entry Name: Little Manor slack Top Cottage
Listing Date: 1 November 1966
Last Amended: 12 December 1984
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1265937
English Heritage Legacy ID: 423456
Location: Heptonstall, Calderdale, HX7
Civil Parish: Heptonstall
Traditional County: Yorkshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): West Yorkshire
Church of England Parish: Heptonstall St Thomas a Becket and St Thomas the Apostle
Church of England Diocese: Leeds
SD 92NE HEPTONSTALL C.P. HEPTONSTALL SLACK
7/88 Slack Top Cottage and
Nos. 40/42 (Little Manor)
(formerly listed as Little
1.11.66 Manor, Slack)
House dated 1599 with added rear wing and internal alterations dated 1681. Now
in 2 occupations. Hammer-dressed stone, stone slate roof. 3-room through-
passage plan. 2 storeys. All windows have lowered sill but retain chamfered
surrounds and some mullions. Former 5-light window with 4-light window over;
probably 6-light window with king mullion and 2-light fire-window with a light
opened between to housebody. 1st floor has 2 mid C20 windows. Basket arched
doorway has stop chamfered surround. Attached at right angles to service end is
single storey gabled extension c.1983 which obscures a 4-light double chamfered
mullioned window (preserved internally). 1st floor has 5-light and former
2-light chamfered mullioned window. Left hand return wall has lateral stack at
junction with added wing with rainwater spouts either side. Rear has single
storey outshut or aisle with 2 windows with double chamfered surround. Rear
wing attached to aisle and of 2 storeys. 6-light double chamfered mullioned
window with king mullion with 4-light window over. Both lack hoodmoulds.
3 stacks to ridge, all renewed.
Interior: Housebody has finely reeded spine beams with stop chamfer and scarf
joint, evidence of former bressumer. Thin stone wall dividing wall has ogee
lintel inscribed " W S " which jetties out to carry double thickness
1 6 8 1
wall at 1st floor. (Service end preserves 4 double chamfered mullioned windows).
Rear room of added wing has Tudor arched lintel carried on corbelled jambs with
chamfered surround. Over housebody is large tie-beam with chamfer (truss not
visible). Service end has re-used arch-braced collar beam truss now resting on
a tie-beam on corbels. Illustrated in Stell.
Listing NGR: SD9772928747
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings