This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 50.9888 / 50°59'19"N
Longitude: -0.6094 / 0°36'33"W
OS Eastings: 497698
OS Northings: 121967
OS Grid: SU976219
Mapcode National: GBR FGD.W7B
Mapcode Global: FRA 96MH.LD2
Entry Name: Somerset Hospital
Listing Date: 22 February 1955
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1266149
English Heritage Legacy ID: 422822
Location: Petworth, Chichester, West Sussex, GU28
County: West Sussex
Civil Parish: Petworth
Built-Up Area: Petworth
Traditional County: Sussex
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): West Sussex
Church of England Parish: Petworth St Mary
Church of England Diocese: Chichester
SU 9721 PETWORTH NORTH STREET
Built as a private residence in the early C17. Converted into almshouses in 1746.
Two storeys and attic. Five windows. Two hipped dormers. Red brick with some stone
rubble. Tiled roof. Casement windows with cement-coated brick mullions and
transoms. In the centre is a projecting porch with a round-headed brick archway
having a dripstone over it and 2 sashes above surmounted by a shaped gable. On each
side is a 2 sash bay with one window between each and the porch. Over the doorway is
a tablet recording: ""This almshouse, usually called the Upper Hospital, was founded
and endowed with divers farms and lands by Charles Duke of Somerset in 1746".
Massive chimney breast on the north wall. Long L-wing behind of lower elevation and
later date than the front.
Listing NGR: SU9770021964
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings