History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Heyford Bridge That Part in the Parish of Lower Heyford

A Grade II* Listed Building in Lower Heyford, Oxfordshire

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.9194 / 51°55'9"N

Longitude: -1.3055 / 1°18'19"W

OS Eastings: 447859

OS Northings: 224764

OS Grid: SP478247

Mapcode National: GBR 7VM.LR9

Mapcode Global: VHCX1.B05Y

Entry Name: Heyford Bridge That Part in the Parish of Lower Heyford

Listing Date: 26 November 1951

Last Amended: 26 February 1988

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1266350

English Heritage Legacy ID: 421838

Location: Lower Heyford, Cherwell, Oxfordshire, OX25

County: Oxfordshire

District: Cherwell

Civil Parish: Lower Heyford

Traditional County: Oxfordshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Oxfordshire

Church of England Parish: Lower Heyford

Church of England Diocese: Oxford

Find accommodation in
Steeple Aston

Listing Text

LOWER HEYFORD B4030
SP42SE
5/42 Heyford Bridge: that part in
26/11/51 the parish of Lower Heyford
(Formerly listed as Heyford
Bridge over River Cherwell
(that part in Ploughley R.D.))
GV II*

River bridge. Probably C14, altered C17 and widened C19. Coursed squared
limestone with some ashlar dressings and some brick repair. Western end of
bridge, spanning the main branch of the River Cherwell, has 4 pointed medieval
arches, 2 of which retain chamfered ashlar ribs and have added brick linings,
but the westernmost arch has no ribs and has C19 outer voussoirs, and the next
arch was reduced to half its original span in the C17; between the arches are
shallow buttresses, and on either side of the river are square piers rising from
triangular buttresses. The bridge extends for approximately 190 metres across
the valley, the remainder forming a causeway which has 6 further arches, 2
medieval with chamfered ribs. C19 north face of bridge has corresponding arches
with squared voussoirs, those of the main span springing from low triangular
cutwaters. Both plain parapets have flat stone copings. The bridge was first
recorded in 1255. It forms an important feature in the landscape designed c.1740
by William Kent for Rousham Park.
(Rousham Park is included in the H.B.M.C. Register of Parks and Gardens at Grade
I; VCH: Oxfordshire: Vol VI, p182; Buildings of England: Oxfordshire: p693;
Oxfordshire Museums Information Sheet 17, "Medieval Bridges in Oxfordshire")


Listing NGR: SP4785924764

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.

Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.