This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 51.8542 / 51°51'15"N
Longitude: 0.9601 / 0°57'36"E
OS Eastings: 603955
OS Northings: 221432
OS Grid: TM039214
Mapcode National: GBR SNM.PK5
Mapcode Global: VHKG6.LNFF
Entry Name: The Vines, The Quay, Wivenhoe
Listing Date: 27 January 1982
Last Amended: 28 February 2014
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1266414
English Heritage Legacy ID: 421652
Location: Wivenhoe, Colchester, Essex, CO7
Civil Parish: Wivenhoe
Built-Up Area: Wivenhoe
Traditional County: Essex
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Essex
Church of England Parish: Wivenhoe St Mary the Virgin
Church of England Diocese: Chelmsford
An early to mid-C19 cottage.
An early to mid-C19 house.
Over painted brick laid in Flemish bond and a peg-tile covering to the roof.
A cottage of 2 storeys and 2 bays with a ridged and gabled roof with eaves. The south elevation has a central door on the ground floor in a case with concentric indents and a leaded hood. The door is flanked by two horned, 8 over 8 sashes with added external shutters with two matching windows to the first floor.
Wivenhoe has Saxon origins; the Domesday Book of 1086 records a small settlement of fewer than thirty adults, livestock and a mill.
In the early-C15, the town was owned by the Earls of Oxford, passing to Roger Townshend in the late C16. It seems probable that riverine trade and fishing played a significant economic role in the early development of the town. Ship building is documented from the late-C16 and continued to be an important activity throughout the post-medieval period producing both commercial and military craft near to the quayside up until the mid-C20. A vibrant port had developed by the C18. Shipbuilding continued to dominate and associated buildings such as public houses, maltings and housing, grew in number. A bath-house was built in 1750 by local doctor, Horace Flack and a workhouse was constructed at The Cross. Racing vessels were built from the early-C19, and continued to be produced throughout the century. The town expanded with the coming of the railways, when its fishery could reach wider audiences, but until the mid-C20 shipbuilding still dominated the economic fortunes of the town. Military vessels and sections of the mulberry harbour, crucial to the success of the D-day landings, were built here, but both of the principal shipyards went out of business in the late-C20.
The draft Conservation Area Appraisal of 2007 describes Wivenhoe as an attractive small port which retains its maritime character along the Quay and Anchor Hill. Its historic core, nestling beside the river Colne and framed to the north by the C14 Church of St. Mary, is visually distinctive and maintains the vibrancy of its historic past.
The Vines was built in the early to mid-C19 and appears little altered.
The Vines, The Quay, Wivenhoe, a house predating 1840, is listed at Grade II for the following principal reasons:
* Architectural interest: the house retains a well-executed facade with polite detailing to the doors and windows;
* Group value: with the adjacent Quay Cottage and Berry House, and other buildings on the Quay, listed at Grade II, contributes to its special interest.
Other nearby listed buildings