History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of All Saints

A Grade I Listed Building in Easton on the Hill, Northamptonshire

More Photos »
Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.6309 / 52°37'51"N

Longitude: -0.5075 / 0°30'27"W

OS Eastings: 501109

OS Northings: 304726

OS Grid: TF011047

Mapcode National: GBR FW3.4HM

Mapcode Global: WHGM3.54LF

Entry Name: Church of All Saints

Listing Date: 23 May 1967

Grade: I

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1266419

English Heritage Legacy ID: 421672

Location: Easton on the Hill, East Northamptonshire, Northamptonshire, PE9

County: Northamptonshire

District: East Northamptonshire

Civil Parish: Easton on the Hill

Built-Up Area: Easton on the Hill

Traditional County: Northamptonshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Northamptonshire

Church of England Parish: Easton-on-the-Hill All Saints

Church of England Diocese: Peterborough

Find accommodation in
Easton on the Hill

Listing Text

EASTON ON THE HILL CHURCH STREET
TF0104 (West side)
11/52 Church of All Saints
23/05/67
GV I
Church. C12 to C15 restored late C18 and mid and late C19. Squared coursed
limestone with ashlar dressings and ashlar tower. Lead and Collyweston slate
roofs. Aisled nave, chancel north and south chapels, south porch and west tower.
South elevation of south chapel is of a 2-window range with a large, 4-light,
square-head window, to left, with C19 tracery. Single-light window, with
4-centred arch-head, to right. One- and 2-stage buttresses between windows.
Lean-to roof with plain ashlar parapet and central gargoyle. East end of south
chapel is blank. 5-light Perpendicular east window of chancel with hollow
reveals and 4-centred arch-head. North elevation of chancel is of one-window
range, with a 4-light, square-head window with tracery containing quatrefoil
circles and mouchettes. Relieving arch above. North chapel projects forward of
north aisle and is a one-window range, with a 5-light, square-head window.
Flanking 3-stage buttresses. Pyramid roof with plain ashlar parapet. East window
of north chapel is probably late C18 of 4 lights with intersecting tracery and
transom immediately below tracery. South aisle of 3 bays, 2-window range
continuing flush with the south chapel. 4-light, square-head window, to right,
with C19 cusping and similar 3-light window, with plain-head lights, to left.
Lean-to roof with plain ashlar parapet. 3-light west window similar to
south-west window. C13 central gabled porch has 2-centred outer arch, with
double hollow chamfered surround. Panelled door. C12 inner doorway, with roll
moulded, semi-circular, arch-head and one order of shafts. Trefoil-head niche
above. Ashlar gable parapet with C19 finial. North aisle, rebuilt 1856, is of
3-window range of 3-light, square-head, windows some with reset medieval
masonry. 2-stage buttresses, between windows, and similar clasping buttress at
corner. Lean-to roof with plain ashlar parapet. 2-light west window with
4-centred arch head. Nave clerestory of 4-window range of 2-light windows with
4-centred arch heads. Clerestory restored mid C19 on north side. Shallow gabled
roof with plain ashlar parapets and C19 finial. Chancel clerestory to south
elevation is a 3-window range of 2-light windows similar to the nave. Gambrel
roof with castellated ashlar parapets and C19 finial. Perpendicular west tower
of 5 stages with moulded plinth. Shallow angle buttresses at corners. West
doorway with 2-centred arch-head and hollowed and moulded surround. 3-light
window, above, has similar surround. Small quatrefoil, set in square surround,
to each face of third stage; east quatrefoil is now internal. 2-light window,
with hollow reveals, to each face of fourth stage. Pairs of tall, 2-light,
bell-chamber openings to each face of upper stage. Each is under single arch,
with central mullion terminating at apices. Quatrefoil frieze above and
castellated ashlar parapet. Gargoyles to each end of parapets. Corner buttresses
terminate as tall octagonal pinnacles with crockets and weather vanes. Interior:
4-bay nave arcade. Late C12 south arcade with semi-circular, double stepped and
chamfered, arches with circular piers matching responds and octagonal abaci.
Hollowed and moulded north arcade with octagonal piers and matching responds.
Double-chamfered chancel arch with semi-circular responds, probably set into
earlier structure. Tall hollowed and moulded tower arch with semi-circular
responds and castellated capitals. Single-chamfered arches with corbelled
responds, between arches and chapels. Single bays of double chamfered arches to
north and south chapels. North chapel has semi-circular respond, with nailhead
decoration to one capital, and north chapel has polygonal responds. 5-bay stone
screen, with attached doorway, in arch to south chapel, has ogee head openings
with cusping. Similar screen to north chapel has trefoil head openings, arranged
in pairs. Head of C12 nave window, now blocked, above south arcade of nave.
Wagon roof to chancel, with moulded purlins and principals. Carved figures at
corbel level and rosettes at intersections. C19 nave, aisle and south chapel
roofs. Plaster ceiling to north chapel is probably C18. Trefoil-head piscina to
right of altar. South chapel is sub-divided, east end is a C13 vestry with
remains of wall arches and a trefoil-head piscina with roll moulding. Fragment
of carved and painted frieze reset in south aisle. C18 box pews, some with
doors. One bench and is dated 1631. C18 pulpit with tester. Fragments of
nedieval glass to north window of chancel. Fragments of medieval wall paintings
to nave and chancel. Hatchment, dated 1826, above chancel arch. Octagonal font
with shields and tracery. Monuments: late C13/early C14 fragment of incised
slab, depicting figure in flowing robe, in south chapel. Inscribed slab below
south window of south chapel to Richard de Linden, d.1255, and wife. Below north
window of chancel is an inscribed slab recording Henry Sampson and wife who
founded a chantry in 1411 and Robert Senkel, rector. Matrices of brass with
Perpendicular surround, to north wall of chancel. East wall of south aisle, pair
of arch head tablet with inscriptions recording Bridgett Tampon, d.1662, and
Mary Brucknell, also d.1662. Tablet to left to John Jackson, d.1772. Inscribed
tablet above to Charles Bletso, d.1753, has pediment over. Similar tablet
opposite to Katherine Bletso, his wife, d.1772. Inscribed tablet alongside has
draped urn over and records family of John Skynner, d.1805, including Captain
Lancelott Skynner R.N. who died in the ship wreck of the Lutine in 1799.
(Buildings of England: Northamptonshire: p205; RCHM: An Inventory of
Architectural Monuments in North Northamptonshire: p51)


Listing NGR: TF0110904726

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.

Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.