History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Nether Hale Farmhouse

A Grade II* Listed Building in St. Nicholas at Wade, Kent

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »


Latitude: 51.3634 / 51°21'48"N

Longitude: 1.2729 / 1°16'22"E

OS Eastings: 627932

OS Northings: 167790

OS Grid: TR279677

Mapcode National: GBR VYP.JM1

Mapcode Global: VHLG5.0ZRP

Plus Code: 9F33977F+94

Entry Name: Nether Hale Farmhouse

Listing Date: 13 October 1982

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1266639

English Heritage Legacy ID: 420940

Location: St. Nicholas At Wade, Thanet, Kent, CT7

County: Kent

Civil Parish: St. Nicholas at Wade

Traditional County: Kent

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Kent

Find accommodation in


TR 26 NE
(north side)
13-10-82 Nether Hale
Nether Hale Farmhouse
House. Mid C15, clad and extended c.1694 and mid C18. Timber framed,
exposed close studding on right return with flint infill, otherwise
clad with red brick and flint and brown brick. Plain tiled roof.
Four framed bay hall house, now ceiled and lobby entry plan with added
brick bay. Two storeys on plinth with moulded eaves cornice to hipped
roof. Brick stacks to centre left, rear right, and large projecting
stack at end right, flint base with moulded corbel to banded white and
red brick stack (c.1600). Four glazing bar sashes on first floor and 3
tripartite and segmental headed glazing bar sashes on ground floor with
door of 4 raised and fielded panels with flat hood on brackets to centre
left. Projecting wing at left with banded flint and brick on plinth with
plat band, cornice and gable, originally shaped but since pared down.
Alphabetical wall ties in gable: P
E I.
Segmental headed glazing bar sash on first floor, and tripartite sash
on ground floor. Left return: rendered, with pilaster strips on first
floor. Interior: crown post roof. Early C16 smoke bay and firehood
and partial ceiling over of hall. Early C17 complete flooring in of
hall and insertion of central stack (end stack of c.1600 with depressed
arch and moulded surround). Surviving C15 2 light arched window with
chamfered and moulded heads and surrounds. The wing added 1694 reputed
to be originally the brew house (Igglesden, vol. 26, 90; see also
analysis and illustrations in E. Mercer, English Vernacular Houses, 1972).

Listing NGR: TR2796467597

Selected Sources

Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.

Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.