This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 50.7147 / 50°42'52"N
Longitude: -1.9872 / 1°59'13"W
OS Eastings: 401000
OS Northings: 90562
OS Grid: SZ010905
Mapcode National: GBR XQC.9W
Mapcode Global: FRA 67Q6.3N8
Plus Code: 9C2WP277+V4
Entry Name: The Guildhall
Listing Date: 14 June 1954
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1266739
English Heritage Legacy ID: 412555
Location: Bournemouth, Christchurch and Poole, BH15
County: Bournemouth Christchurch and Poole
Electoral Ward/Division: Poole Town
Built-Up Area: Poole
Traditional County: Dorset
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Dorset
Church of England Parish: Poole St James with St Paul
Church of England Diocese: Salisbury
SZ0190NW MARKET STREET
958-1/16/115 (North East side)
14/06/54 The Guildhall
Formerly known as: Old Guildhall MARKET PLACE.
Guildhall, with partly open market on ground floor. Dated
1761. For John Gultson and Col. Thomas Calcraft, MPs for
Poole, their names inscribed on tablets on the returns;
restored 1994. Brick with limestone and stucco dressings and a
hipped slate roof with flat leaded top and cupola. Mid
Georgian style. Rectangular plan.
2 storeys and attic; 7-window range. 3-window front has
rusticated quoins, plat band and flat cornice, with a pediment
raised at the corners to form side parapets. A projecting
Tuscan portico with front balustrade, antae and pediment,
above a rusticated base with a blocked, keyed round arch, with
fine curved steps and iron railings rising each side to the
portico; first-floor keyed segmental-arched windows with
6/6-pane sashes, a clock in the pediment with a keyed
architrave, and a sundial with a gnomon and number XII at the
apex of the pediment. The sides have a formerly open
ground-floor arcade connected by impost blocks, and
first-floor keyed windows as the front.
Rear Orchard Street elevation has 2 windows and 2 arches.
Domed ridge cupola with concave corners, wide modillion eaves
cornice and round-arched windows with rusticated architraves.
INTERIOR: the Guildhall includes a first-floor council chamber
with a rear platform and doorway with architrave and console
pediment, beneath a coat of arms of Queen Victoria, a central
right-hand fireplace, masked externally by a blind window,
with enriched surround and an overmantel with broken pediment
over an eared panel containing pre-1603 Royal Arms. Ceiling
divided by moulded bands, central lantern and enriched coved
cornice. The ground floor has cast-iron columns along the
A very fine example of a Georgian guildhall (manifesting the
C18 wealth of Poole), after which the Custom House (qv) was
modelled, and elegantly closing off the important view up
Market Street. The ground-floor formerly contained an open
(RCHME: County of Dorset (South East): London: 1970-: 202;
Buildings of England: Pevsner N & Newman J: Dorset: London:
Listing NGR: SZ0095690487
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.
Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings