History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of St John the Baptist

A Grade I Listed Building in Eastnor, County of Herefordshire

More Photos »
Approximate Location Map
Large Map »


Latitude: 52.0328 / 52°1'58"N

Longitude: -2.393 / 2°23'34"W

OS Eastings: 373134

OS Northings: 237227

OS Grid: SO731372

Mapcode National: GBR 0GJ.FTZ

Mapcode Global: VH93H.G5RH

Plus Code: 9C4V2JM4+4Q

Entry Name: Church of St John the Baptist

Listing Date: 18 November 1952

Grade: I

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1266756

English Heritage Legacy ID: 152465

Location: Eastnor, County of Herefordshire, HR8

County: County of Herefordshire

Civil Parish: Eastnor

Traditional County: Herefordshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Herefordshire

Church of England Parish: Eastnor

Church of England Diocese: Hereford

Tagged with: Church building

Find accommodation in


SO 73 NW; 4/38

UPPER ROAD (west side)

Church of St John the Baptist




C12, altered C13 and C15; tower remodelled C14; restored and mostly rebuilt
in 1852 by Sir G G Scott. Consists of west tower, nave and south porch,
north aisle and organ space and north or Somers chapel and chancel. Ashlar,
rubble and coursed squared rubble to the tower: plain tiled roofs.

tower of three stages, diagonal buttresses and embattled parapet; the top is of
a different stone and is unbuttressed; setback pyramidal roof, weathervane
on ball finial; 3-light Perpendicular style west window and moulded west
doorway; single round-headed lights to second stage and 2-light C14 style
windows to bell chamber; square stair tower projects at north-east. Nave:
two C19 Geometric style windows and buttresses with off-sets. Projecting,
gabled, timber-framed porch has trefoil headed arcade on an ashlar base.
Restored south doorway of one order of columns with trumpet-scallop capitals
and a plain arch. Chancel: two fine C19 2-light windows in an early - mid
C14 style with much ballflower ornament and under hoodmoulds with head stops;
ball-flower ornamented wall plate; priests' door under large trefoil head,
ornamented with fleurons and ballflower; 3-light Geometric style east window,
also profuse with ballflower ornament. North aisle is plain with three narrow
slit windows. Somers chapel: angle buttresses with gabled heads; three lancet
windows divided by a transom, trefoil heads to lower part and a large trefoil
light above, under a hoodmould with head stops; decorated band over:

Three-bay arcade to north chapel has octagonal piers and double-chamfered arches;
the east capital has trumpet-scallops. Double ware-moulded tower arch. Font
and pulpit of 1852 in a heavy Gothic style, of carved freestone and marble
shafts. Circular tub font in north aisle. Enriched Gothic style screen.
Reredos of 1896, incorporating carved friezes and other parts of a monument
from Siena. Glass: east window by Kempe; Somers chapel east window by
Wilmhurst and Oliphant, 1884. Monuments. Tower: two designed by James Stuart
and executed by Thomas Scheemakers; to Joseph Cocks died 1778, in brown and
white marble, a sarcophagus with a profile in a roundel and putti above;
and to Mary Cocks, died 1779, in marble, a seated woman by an urn, set
against drapery, and with a putto at the right. Somers chapel: to first
Earl Somers, died 1855, by Sir G G Scott, a freestone chest with religious
scenes in trefoiled arcading, all set in depressed arched niche; to 3rd
Earl, died 1883 by Sir J E Boehm, a grey marble chest tomb with a white
marble recumbent effigy; marble tablets to John Cocks, died 1771, an urn
in front of an obelisk; Edward Cocks, died 1782, by Thomas Scheemakers,
a marble plaque with books, a cap and a lamb at the foot; Charles Cocks 1806.
Rev John Fletcher, died 1797, also by Stuart and Scheemakers (Pevsner), stand-
ing female figure by an urn and in front of an obelisk. A high quality but
small and little known masterpiece by Scott at a cost of £1506 0s 3d.

Listing NGR: SO7313437226

External Links

External links are from the relevant listing authority and, where applicable, Wikidata. Wikidata IDs may be related buildings as well as this specific building. If you want to add or update a link, you will need to do so by editing the Wikidata entry.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.