History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of St James

A Grade II Listed Building in Haworth, Bradford

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 53.8351 / 53°50'6"N

Longitude: -1.9341 / 1°56'2"W

OS Eastings: 404435

OS Northings: 437651

OS Grid: SE044376

Mapcode National: GBR GSY2.2Z

Mapcode Global: WHB7W.8V8T

Entry Name: Church of St James

Listing Date: 23 July 1992

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1266785

English Heritage Legacy ID: 420625

Location: Haworth, Cross Roads and Stanbury, Bradford, BD22

County: Bradford

Civil Parish: Haworth, Cross Roads and Stanbury

Built-Up Area: Haworth

Traditional County: Yorkshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): West Yorkshire

Church of England Parish: Cross Roads-cum-Lees St James

Church of England Diocese: Leeds

Find accommodation in
Ingrow

Listing Text

The following building shall be added:

KEIGHLEY HAWORTH ROAD
SE 03 NW
Crossroads
South side
1772-/8/10001
Church of St James

II

Parish church. 1909-10. Designed by J. B. Bailey and Son, Keighley,
in the Perpendicular style. Nave and aisles with north porch forming
the base of the proposed tower, chancel with organ chamber and vestry.
Coursed and dressed stone with ashlar dressings. Slate roofs with
ashlar coped gables and cross finials. West gable front has 2 deep
buttresses and a single 5-light pointed, arched, panel tracery window
to west, and above a small gable belllcote. South aisle has a small
segment headed 2-light panel tracery window to west. To south a
pointed arched doorway with double doors, then a pair of segment
headed lancets, flanked by single 2-light pointed arched panel tracery
windows. Clestory has four 2-light flat headed panel tracery windows.
Chancel has a single lancet, to south, and a low vestry/parish room
with a single 2-light chamfered mullion window to south, and to east
an off-centre doorway with moulded hood and chamfered surround with
to the left a single light and to the right two, 2-light chamfered
mullion windows. Chancel east end has 2 deep buttresses and a large
5-light pointed arched, panel tracery window. North chancel has a
single lancet and projecting organ chamber with 2 small chamfered
windows to east and to south a 3-light, pointed arched, panel tracery
window. Nave north clerestory has 3 windows similar to the south
side. The north aisle has 2 central segment headed lancets, flanked
by single 2-light segment headed, panel tracery windows. To the west
a slightly projecting porch with diagonal buttresses, that to the left
the base of a corner turret, this was to be lowest stage of the tower
which was never built, segment headed deeply chamfered doorway with
double doors. A small 2-light mullion window to west. INTERIOR: 4
bay nave, with 3 bay arcade to north and 4 bay arcade to south. Wide
chancel arch. Single side arches to chancel. Queen post wooden roof
to nave with arch braces, double hammer beam roof to chancel.
Fittings include fine oak pews, elaborately carved choir stalls and
reredos with panelling including carved priests seat. Altar rail,
carved oak screen to organ chamber and carved organ case. Octagonal
wooden pulpit and eagle lectern. To west carved oak panelling and
elaborate coloured marble font with carved oak cover.


Listing NGR: SE0443537651

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.