History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

18 and 19, Kensington Palace Gardens W8

A Grade II* Listed Building in Campden, London

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.5071 / 51°30'25"N

Longitude: -0.1919 / 0°11'30"W

OS Eastings: 525580

OS Northings: 180236

OS Grid: TQ255802

Mapcode National: GBR 1F.3X

Mapcode Global: VHGQY.MCDZ

Entry Name: 18 and 19, Kensington Palace Gardens W8

Listing Date: 15 April 1969

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1266954

English Heritage Legacy ID: 420060

Location: Kensington and Chelsea, London, W8

County: London

District: Kensington and Chelsea

Electoral Ward/Division: Campden

Built-Up Area: Kensington and Chelsea

Traditional County: Middlesex

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Greater London

Church of England Parish: St Mary Abbots with Christ Church and St Philip Kensington

Church of England Diocese: London

Find accommodation in
Kensington

Listing Text

In the entry for:

TQ 2480 SE KENSINGTON PALACE GARDENS W8
26/6 (west side)

15.4.69
Nos. 18 and 19

GV II*

The description shall be amended to read as follows:

Pair of large houses, 1845-47, by the office of (Sir) Charles Barry; R R Banks the probable designer.
Stone, with rear elevation of brick and slate roofs. Two storeys over basement, five-bay central block
with flanking belvedere towers of three storeys. Doric surrounds to ground-floor windows, first-floor
windows with segmental pediments and flanking pilasters. Rusticated quoins to belvederes, which have
garland friezes below the cornice. Crowning modillion cornice with balustraded parapet and ball finials.
Square corner terminals to belvederes.
Interiors not inspected. Subsequent alterations include the following. Entrance porch, tower,
conservatory and two-storey extension containing picture gallery and billiard room to rear of no. 18:
1870 by F and H Francis for Baron Julius de Reuter; single-storey study to rear of no. 19, 1857 by Barry
and Banks; new porch and extension, with extensive and sumptuous internal decoration, 1884 by F W
Porter.
Source: Survey of London, vol. 37, Northern Kensington, pp.179-180.

------------------------------------
TQ 2480 SE KENSINGTON PALACE GARDENS W8
26/6 (west side)

15.4.69 Nos 18 and 19

GV II*

Pair of large houses. Mid C19. By Wyatt and Brandon. Built of stone. Main block is 2
storeyed with 3 storey towers either end. First floor windows have Ionic pilasters and
cambered pediments with balustraded balconies, and there are 7 windows in a row.
Ground floor window treated with Doric order. Crowning modillion cornice with
balustraded parapet and ball finials. Towers square with rusticated quoins and a great
deal of enrichment.
Interior not seen.


Listing NGR: TQ2558080236

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.