History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Remains of the Cloth Hall Re Erected in Ravenknowle Park

A Grade II Listed Building in Dalton, Kirklees

More Photos »
Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 53.6452 / 53°38'42"N

Longitude: -1.7548 / 1°45'17"W

OS Eastings: 416309

OS Northings: 416545

OS Grid: SE163165

Mapcode National: GBR JV59.W1

Mapcode Global: WHCB2.0MPX

Entry Name: Remains of the Cloth Hall Re Erected in Ravenknowle Park

Listing Date: 3 March 1952

Last Amended: 29 September 1978

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1267100

English Heritage Legacy ID: 419755

Location: Kirklees, HD5

County: Kirklees

Electoral Ward/Division: Dalton

Built-Up Area: Huddersfield

Traditional County: Yorkshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): West Yorkshire

Church of England Parish: Kirkheaton St John the Baptist

Church of England Diocese: Leeds

Find accommodation in
Huddersfield

Listing Text

WAKEFIELD ROAD
1.
5113
(South Side)
Remains of the Huddersfield
Cloth Hall, re-erected in
Ravensknowle Park
(formerly listed as
The Cloth Hall, under
Ravensknowle Park)
SE 1616 35/14 3.3.52.
II
2.
Pastiche of 1930. Red brick. 2 bay arcades with concentric relieving arches,
pedimented at each end, and at south end incorporating the former entrance,
viz: rusticated quoins, semi-circular arch with triple keystone and imposts.
Tympana have plaques, one over former entrance inscribed "Erected by Sir John
Ramsden Bart 1766. Enlarged by His Son Sir John Ramsden Bart 1780," the other
inscribed "Restored and improved by his grandson Sir John William Ramsden Bart
1848." Flanked by 2 loggias composed of Tuscan columns and trabeation from
former internal colonnades. Surmounted by the clock tower, with circular lantern
of Tuscan colonnettes taking entablature, lead dome, ball finial and weathervane.
The Cloth Hall was built by Sir John Ramsden in 1766 on a site now occupied
by the ABC Cinema, Market Street. It was enlarged in 1780, 1848 and 1864,
and pulled down in 1930.


Listing NGR: SE1630916545

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.