History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

East Markham County Primary School

A Grade II Listed Building in East Markham, Nottinghamshire

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 53.253 / 53°15'10"N

Longitude: -0.8928 / 0°53'33"W

OS Eastings: 473970

OS Northings: 373462

OS Grid: SK739734

Mapcode National: GBR QZ6T.JL

Mapcode Global: WHFGP.8H4J

Entry Name: East Markham County Primary School

Listing Date: 14 November 1985

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1267167

English Heritage Legacy ID: 419452

Location: East Markham, Bassetlaw, Nottinghamshire, NG22

County: Nottinghamshire

District: Bassetlaw

Civil Parish: East Markham

Built-Up Area: East Markham

Traditional County: Nottinghamshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Nottinghamshire

Church of England Parish: East Markham

Church of England Diocese: Southwell and Nottingham

Find accommodation in
Tuxford

Listing Text

SK 77 SW EAST MARKHAM ASKHAM ROAD
(east side)

5/14 East Markham
County Primary
School

II

School. Dated 1877. Robert Clarke & So..ott. Red brick with
ashlar dressings. Slate roof. Ashlar coped gables with small
decorative ridge finials. 2 small ridge ventilators. Moulded
eaves band. Set on a plinth. Single storey, 8 bays, divided by
single buttresses. The outer single bays are narrower. The
third bay in on each side is gabled. 2 central tall casements
each with single mullion and 2 transoms. Either side in the
gabled bays are single tall pointed arched casements each with 2
arched and cusped lights with 2 transoms and surmounted by a
single quatrefoil. To the left and right are single tall
casements each with single mullion and 2 transoms. In the outer
single bays are single tall casements each with 2 transoms. To
the left and right are single lean-tos with ashlar coping each
with single pointed arched and cusped light with single transom.
In the left lean-to, to the right of the window, is a bell. The
side wall of the right lean-to has a doorway with Caernarvon
arch and wooden door and a single ashlar cross casement to the
left. To the right is a single storey 2 bay C20 extension with 2
casements. The left lean-to corresponds, however the extension
is single bay and has a single casement. In each gable is a
single rose window. Beneath the right gabled bay is a plaque
inscribed "This stone of ..... schools was laid by G. W. Brameld
M.A. Chairman of the board on Thursday the 15 day of February
A.D. 1877. Robert Clarke & So..ott = Architects. Theophilus
Wilson East Markham Contractor."


Listing NGR: SK7397073462

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.