This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 50.6657 / 50°39'56"N
Longitude: -4.691 / 4°41'27"W
OS Eastings: 209922
OS Northings: 88565
OS Grid: SX099885
Mapcode National: GBR N4.7DVD
Mapcode Global: FRA 1729.SC7
Entry Name: Redevallen
Listing Date: 19 January 1952
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1267261
English Heritage Legacy ID: 68889
Location: Trevalga, Cornwall, PL35
Civil Parish: Trevalga
Traditional County: Cornwall
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cornwall
Church of England Parish: Trevalga
Church of England Diocese: Truro
SX 08 NE
House. Probably 1642 (datestone) possibly with earlier origins. Slate stone rubble.
Rag slate roof with gable ends, gable ends to 2 front wings and central 2 storey
porch and gabled end to rear wing. Stone rubble stacks on right and left hand gable
ends, rendered stone rubble axial stack to right of 2 storey porch, backing onto
passage and stone rubble stack on gable end of rear wing rebuilt in late C20.
Plan: 2 room and wide through passage plan with 2 storey porch, shallow 2 storey wing
on front right forming a 2 storey bay projection and shallow wing on front left of
unusual arrangement with the first floor jettied out over the ground floor; this wing
may be a later circa C19 extension. Single storey outbuildings continue to front
left and service outshot to rear left. On the right hand side of the through passage
a thick cross wall continues up to the apex; this wall contains the flue to the axial
stack which, judging by the thickness of the wall on the ground floor, probably
contained a fireplace which backed onto the passage and heated the right hand room.
This fireplace has been blocked and the room is now heated by a fireplace in the
right hand gable wall. About the axial stack serves back to back fireplace which
heat 2 first floor room. To the rear of this right hand room is a lean-to outshot,
the internal entrance to which is now blocked and there is no evidence of external
access. This outshot may possibly have contained a stair (now removed) although it
has probably been partly remodelled, the rear wall partly rebuilt and the roof
The earlier arrangement of the service wing to the rear of the left hand room is
uncertain; the house in circa 1642 may have had a narrow service range which
continued to the rear of the left hand room and passage, containing a stone newel
stair on the left rising in a quarter turn to the first floor, alongside the left
hand gable end stack, and possibly a buttery to the right. There is evidence of a
low blocked door to the rear of the left hand room which would have given direct
access to the stair. To the rear of the left hand side of the service range, a
narrow possible kitchen wing of 1 room plan appears to have been added, probably in
the late C17. This wing was considerably remodelled in the mid C19 when it was
widened so that it continued to the rear of the through passage as well as the left
hand room. In circa late C19 a further kitchen wing of 1 room plan was added to the
rear gable end.
2 storeys. Almost symmetrical 5 window front with central 2 storey porch balanced by
2 gabled wings at either end. The gabled porch and 2 storey wing on right appear to
be contemporary with the front elevation, dating probably from 1642. The wing on the
left is of an unusual arrangement with evidence of rebuilding in the masonry; the
gabled first floor bay is jettied over the ground floor with 1 of the hall windows
partly under its projectory and it is possible that the house was originally
asymmetrical, this left hand bay being an addition. To left of the 2-storey porch
are two 2-light mullion windows asymmetrically placed on the ground and first floor.
The porch has a flat headed chamfered granite arch with diagonal stops and an inner
entrance with C20 door. 1-light window above with chamfered granite frame. To right
2-light granite mullion window, 3-light granite mullion window in bay projection and
two 2-light granite mullion windows above ground floor openings. Lean-to outshot to
rear of right hand room, possibly a stair projection, partly rebuilt and reduced in
height; blocked window opening in side wall and evidence of blocked door opening,
partly obscured by lean-to roof on first floor. Rear wing with granite lintels and
left hand wall asbestos-slate hung.
Interior : Wide passage with thick cross wall on right containing flue and thinner
cross wall on left continuing up to first floor. Probable parlour on right with low
plaster ceiling, possible blocked fireplace backing onto passage and C20 grate to
fireplace on right hand gable end. Bay projection to front right. Plaster frieze in
reveals of window on front left with floral trail decorated with strawberry leaves
and fruit and datestone 1642. Possible stair to rear, the opening to the stair
turret blocked by a china cupboard and bricked up to rear. In the left hand room,
probably the hall/kitchen, the fireplace has been partly rebuilt with a brick
segmental arch. Cloam oven and possible smoking chamber on left, now a cupboard.
Low plaster ceiling. To rear of left-hand room low blocked door with later doorway
inserted to left. The rear service wing has been remodelled in the C19 and a stair
has been inserted to the rear of the left hand room. Stone newel stair with slate
treads to rear left rising in a quarter turn.
First Floor: C19 cast-iron grates to 2 back-to-back fireplaces heated by axial stack.
Entrance to small room above porch with flat granite arch, chamfered lintel and jambs
with pyramid stops.
Roof: Although the roof was not fully inspected the roof structure appears to have
been replaced in the mid to late C19; the collars lapped and bolted onto the face of
the principals. The foot of the front principal of the right hand truss is supported
by a heavy timber joist which spans the projecting bay.
Reputed to have been the Manor House of the Manor of Trevalga. Maclean records that
the principal room was decorated with a moulded cornice and that it formerly had a
fine moulded ceiling. He also records that the walls were pierced for musketry.
Chesher, V M and F J The Cornishman's House 1968
Maclean, Sir John Parochial and Family History of the Deanery of Trigg Minor in
the County of Cornwall 1879
Listing NGR: SX0992288565
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.
Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings