This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 53.2612 / 53°15'40"N
Longitude: -1.1694 / 1°10'9"W
OS Eastings: 455500
OS Northings: 374120
OS Grid: SK555741
Mapcode National: GBR NZ8Q.MN
Mapcode Global: WHDFF.09D7
Plus Code: 9C5W7R6J+F6
Entry Name: Works Department
Listing Date: 12 April 1985
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1267515
English Heritage Legacy ID: 418542
Location: Holbeck, Bassetlaw, Nottinghamshire, S80
Civil Parish: Holbeck
Traditional County: Nottinghamshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Nottinghamshire
This list entry was subject to a Minor Amendment on 30/07/2014
SK 5474 and SK 5574
HOLBECK, Welbeck Estate Village,
WINNINGS ROAD (West side),
Walls and 4 lodges. c.1860. Ashlar. Lodges with shaped tile roofs, single stacks, coped gables, kneelers and mannerist style orb finials. Quadrangle plan. Walls with 2 storey plus attic gabled lodges. North front. 7 bay coped wall flanked by single 3 bay lodges. 7 rusticated blind arches with keystones divided by single vermiculated rusticated pilasters topped with either single orbs or pineapples. The central arch with memorial plaque. Lodges each with central Tudor style arched doorway with hood mould. Flanked by single narrow casements. Above are two 2 light casements with mullions with a single narrow casement in the attic. All windows have drip moulds. The south front has a similar pair of lodges flanking the entrance to the quadrangle, attached to each lodge is a narrow coped wall on a plinth with single pier. The north front has 5 similar blind arches. The lodge to the right is 2 storeys 2 bays. Chamfered doorway with single 2 light casement to the right and 2 similar casements above. All with drip moulds and flush ashlar quoin surrounds.
The memorial plaque comprises a large, ornate, bronze tablet, over a metre square, to the members of the St John’s Ambulance Brigade, Welbeck Division, who served in the Boer War. Its wording is: HAVING IN GRATEFUL RECOLLECTION THE LABOURS, ZEAL, AND PATRIOTISM OF THE ST JOHN’S AMBULANCE BRIGADE, WELBECK DIVISION, A TRUE-HEARTED BODY OF EIGHTY MEMBERS, THIRTY-ONE OF WHOM AT THE CALL OF DUTY TO THEIR SOVEREIGN AND COUNTRY OFFERED THEIR SERVICES FOR THE RELIEF OF THEIR BRETHREN IN THE WAR IN SOUTH AFRICA 1899-1902. WILLIAM, 6TH DUKE OF PORTLAND K.G. ERECTS THIS TABLET, RECORDING SUCH FAITHFUL SERVICES AS EXAMPLES FOR THOSE WHO COME AFTER. THEIR NAMES ARE HERE RECORDED (31 names).
Listing NGR: SK5550074120
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings