This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 50.7293 / 50°43'45"N
Longitude: -3.5202 / 3°31'12"W
OS Eastings: 292805
OS Northings: 93283
OS Grid: SX928932
Mapcode National: GBR P1.8GV5
Mapcode Global: FRA 37J4.SJG
Plus Code: 9C2RPFHH+PW
Entry Name: St Anne's Almhouses
Listing Date: 29 January 1953
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1267540
English Heritage Legacy ID: 418400
Location: Newtown and St. Leonard's, Exeter, Devon, EX4
Electoral Ward/Division: Newtown and St Leonard's
Built-Up Area: Exeter
Traditional County: Devon
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Devon
Church of England Parish: Exeter St James
Church of England Diocese: Exeter
SX9393 OLD TIVERTON ROAD
871/12/352 (East side)
29-JAN-53 St Anne's Almhouses
Almshouses. C16; restored 1838; partly rebuilt 1907-9 by W.D. Caroe. Heavitree stone; partly rebuilt in brick, stone and timber-framing. Clay plain tile roof with gable-ends, sprocketed eaves and pierced ridge tiles. Brick gable-end stacks with corbelled brick tops.
PLAN: L-shaped on plan range of almshouses, the west end rebuilt 1907-9 in free Tudor style.
EXTERIOR: 1 storey and attic. Ground floor brick with stone dressings, stone window frames, plinth and stringcourses, with timber-framing above; panelled doors with canopies on shaped brackets. C16 wing on left [E] with sashes on ground floor, C20 flat roof dormers above and chamfered arch doorway on left; on left [N] corner a stone arch linking almshouses to chapel [qv]. Rear [S] facing road, 2:1:1:2 bays, large 2 and 3-light stone mullion windows with transoms, and timber-framed gable at centre with brick stack. C16 stone range on right [E] with sashes, gable on right and stone stacks heightened in brick.
INTERIORS not inspected.
SOURCE: Buildings of England, p.432.
Listing NGR: SX9279893280
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings