History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of St Peter and St Paul

A Grade II* Listed Building in Bratoft, Lincolnshire

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 53.1619 / 53°9'42"N

Longitude: 0.2042 / 0°12'15"E

OS Eastings: 547460

OS Northings: 365020

OS Grid: TF474650

Mapcode National: GBR LX3.QG7

Mapcode Global: WHJM0.3SHD

Entry Name: Church of St Peter and St Paul

Listing Date: 3 February 1967

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1267661

English Heritage Legacy ID: 418065

Location: Bratoft, East Lindsey, Lincolnshire, PE24

County: Lincolnshire

District: East Lindsey

Civil Parish: Bratoft

Traditional County: Lincolnshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Lincolnshire

Church of England Parish: Bratoft St Peter and St Paul

Church of England Diocese: Lincoln

Find accommodation in
Firsby

Listing Text

BRATOFT CHURCH LANE
TF 46 NE
(north side)
1/4 Church of St. Peter
and St. Paul
3.2.67
II*

Parish church. Early C14, early C15, 1747, restored and chancel
rebuilt 1844 and restored 1890. Greenstone, limestone rubble
and ashlar, red brick. Slate roofs with stone coped gables and
cross finials. West tower, nave with north and south aisles,
south porch and clerestory, chancel. Brick west tower of 1747,
of 3 battered stages, with plinth and first and second stage
bands. Semi-circular west window with ashlar plaque above
inscribed with the date 1747. Segmental headed casement above.
Bell openings on all 4 sides, each with slatted openings and
segmental head. Battlements and corner pinnacles above. C15
north aisle heavily restored in C19 with plinth, moulded string
course, brick patched eaves and 2 stage buttresses. West end
with window with flattened pointed head, 2 semi-circular headed,
cusped lights, panel tracery, hood mould and head label stops.
North side with pointed doorway to right with hood mould, label
stops and plank door. Window to the left with pointed head and
2 pointed cusped lights and hood mould. Another in the east end
of aisle, similar to that in the west end. Clerestory restored
in C19, with 3 triangular headed windows, each of 2 lights with
panel tracery and continuous hood moulds. C19 chancel with
plinth and continuous sill band. North side with triangular
headed window with 2 ogee cusped lights, panel tracery, hood
mould and head label stops. East end with pointed window, 3 ogee
headed, cusped lights, sub-panel tracery, hood mould and head
label stops. South side with doorway to right with pointed head,
continuously moulded surround, hood mould, foliate label stops
and plank door. Arched window to left with 3 ogee headed cusped
lights, panel tracery and hood mould. C14 blind opening re-set
beneath sill band, with small, cusped ogee shaped head in
rectangular opening. C15 south aisle restored in C19. C15 east
window with pointed head, 3 cusped lights, that in the centre
with ogee head, early panel tracery partially restored in C19,
and hood mould. South side of nave with 2 pointed C19 windows
each with 2 pointed cusped lights, sub-panel tracery, hood moulds
and head label stops. C19 gabled porch to left with pointed
doorway with double chamfered head, hood mould and head label
stops. Porch interior with flanking stone benches and small C14
steeply pointed doorway, with continuous chamfered surround, hood
mould and plank doorway. C15 clerestory restored in C19, with 3
triangular headed windows, each with 2 cusped lights, panel
tracery and continuous hood moulds. Interior C14 tower arch with
double chamfered head and semi-circular inner responds. C18
semi-circular headed tower arch inserted beneath. 3 bay early
C15 south arcade, with pointed, double chamfered heads, octagonal
piers and polygonal responds. Similar slightly later north
arcade, both with narrower eastern bays. C15 chancel arch on C14
plinth, with pointed head and continuous double chamfered
surround. C14 moulded tomb recess arch in chancel. Curved
triangular C15 piscina in east wall. Large aumbry in south wall
with rectangular chamfered head. C19 screen in chancel arch
incorporating main struts of C15 screen, of 5 traceried openings,
that in the centre with a flattened ogee head. C19 screens sub
divide the eastern bays of north and south nave aisles. South
aisle with a pair of small C14 piscinas. C15 octagonal font with
symbols of the Passion, and foliate and grotesque heads on
underside of bowl. Five C14 poppy head finials re-used in C20
choir stalls with eagle, head, angel, foliate and human motifs.
C19 pulpit incorporating some of the original C15 panel tracery
from the screen. C19 roofs, pews, lectern, altar, etc.
Allegorical painting of c.1588, depicting the defeat of the
Armada.


Listing NGR: TF4746065020

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.