History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Castle House Including Part Occupied As Separate Cottage and Harvey's Academy

A Grade II Listed Building in Halesworth, Suffolk

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.3428 / 52°20'34"N

Longitude: 1.5109 / 1°30'39"E

OS Eastings: 639247

OS Northings: 277441

OS Grid: TM392774

Mapcode National: GBR XNV.4SN

Mapcode Global: VHM73.4CMV

Entry Name: Castle House Including Part Occupied As Separate Cottage and Harvey's Academy

Listing Date: 21 October 1949

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1267724

English Heritage Legacy ID: 417882

Location: Halesworth, East Suffolk, Suffolk, IP19

County: Suffolk

District: Waveney

Civil Parish: Halesworth

Built-Up Area: Halesworth

Traditional County: Suffolk

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Suffolk

Church of England Parish: Halesworth St Mary

Church of England Diocese: St.Edmundsbury and Ipswich

Find accommodation in
Halesworth

Listing Text

1. HOLTON ROAD
1163 No 53
(Castle House)
(including part occupied as
Separate cottage and
Harvey's Academy)
TM 3977 2/23 21.10.49.

II

2.
The house appears to have no association with a castle. There is a minor
earlier part of the present house dated 1727 in deeds, and the main structure
was built in 1810. The centre block, of the later date is 3 storey, red
brick, centre has piers 4 1/2 ins forward with segmental arch over at 2nd floor.
Wide cornices with mutules, pediment over central break Slates. Brick band
at 1st floor cill level and at springing of 2nd floor arch. 3 windows, sash,
with glazing bars, flat arches and stone cills. 6-panel door with narrow
side lights with diagonal glazing bars, and segmental radial bar fanlight.
Left hand wing, of older date, faced in 1810, with one 6-panel door, segmental
arch and fanlight. South face, 3 1st floor sash windows with glazing bars
and flush frames. On right handis a 2-storey older wing part being occupied
as a separate cottage, 1 sash window with glazing bars and flush frame, and
one dummy, 6-panel door with pointed dummy fanlight. At back is separate
C18 1-storey building once used as a school known as "Harvey's Academy" shown
in Suckling's History as being in 1848 at Gothic House, London Road, qv.


Listing NGR: TM3924777441

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.

Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.