History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Old Baptist Chapel

A Grade II* Listed Building in Chippenham, Wiltshire

More Photos »
Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.4586 / 51°27'31"N

Longitude: -2.115 / 2°6'53"W

OS Eastings: 392109

OS Northings: 173302

OS Grid: ST921733

Mapcode National: GBR 2SJ.D3W

Mapcode Global: VH96C.9L8N

Plus Code: 9C3VFV5P+F2

Entry Name: Old Baptist Chapel

Listing Date: 25 April 1950

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1268156

English Heritage Legacy ID: 462207

Location: Chippenham, Wiltshire, SN15

County: Wiltshire

Civil Parish: Chippenham

Built-Up Area: Chippenham

Traditional County: Wiltshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Wiltshire

Church of England Parish: Chippenham with Tytherton Lucas

Church of England Diocese: Bristol

Find accommodation in
Chippenham

Description


CHIPPENHAM

ST9273SW CHAPEL LANE
930-1/10/17 (West side)
25/04/50 Old Baptist Chapel

GV II*

Formerly known as: Old Baptist Chapel GUTTER LANE.
Baptist Chapel. c1834 with late C19 wing to the right. Squared
and coursed limestone rubble facade with ashlar quoins and
dressings, rubblestone rear, stretcher-bond brick right return
and hipped slate roof.
Rectangular plan with shorter lean-to right wing behind ashlar
parapet.
EXTERIOR: 2 storeys; originally symmetrical 3-window range.
Painted ashlar surrounds to C20 6-over-6-pane sash windows to
original building; steps, with wrought-iron wreathed
handrails, over a high curved rubblestone plinth lead to late
C19 6-panel doors, one to the centre, one to the far right in
the right wing with a shallow overlight and substantial C19 or
C20 hood on brackets. Exposed sawn-off joists to the 1st floor
of the right return and the stretcher bond brick imply this
was formerly an interior wall.
Rear has tall semicircular-arched painted surrounds to two C20
6/6-pane sash windows to rear of original building. Right
return: two 6/6-pane sash windows to the 1st floor and 2 small
C20 windows high in the ground floor.
INTERIOR: virtually complete apart from late C19 pews and some
joinery. The woodwork is grained, probably original. A canted
panelled pulpit to the rear has steps to the right with turned
balusters and newel; on the wall behind it is a rectangular
wooden sounding panel with console shoulders. A panelled
gallery swept up to the rear wall is supported on each side by
2 cylindrical cast-iron columns and similar square columns to
the rear.
The roof of the extended gallery in the lean-to right wing is
supported by a cast-iron column. A central entrance has a
c1834 half-glazed door; to the left gallery stairs with stick
balusters have a late C19 4-panel door at the top.
Stairs in the right wing have stick balusters and a 6-panel
door to the top. In the centre of the ceiling is a circular
ventilation rose with moulded surround. Commemorative panels
include one to the 1st pastor William Mortimer d1869.
HISTORY: the Baptists have had premises in Chapel Lane since
1804.
A notable and substantially complete example of an early C19
Baptist chapel.

Listing NGR: ST9210773305

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.