This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 51.3926 / 51°23'33"N
Longitude: 0.5269 / 0°31'36"E
OS Eastings: 575897
OS Northings: 168975
OS Grid: TQ758689
Mapcode National: GBR PPP.N1D
Mapcode Global: VHJLV.28W9
Entry Name: The Royal Dockyard Church
Listing Date: 24 May 1971
Last Amended: 25 February 2011
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1268203
English Heritage Legacy ID: 462105
Location: Medway, ME4
Electoral Ward/Division: River
Built-Up Area: Gillingham
Traditional County: Kent
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Kent
Church of England Parish: Gillingham St Mark
Church of England Diocese: Rochester
762-1/1/74 MAIN GATE ROAD
24-MAY-71 CHATHAM DOCKYARD
THE ROYAL DOCKYARD CHURCH
MAIN GATE ROAD
THE ROYAL DOCKYARD CHURCH
Church. 1808-1811 by Edward Holl, architect for the Navy Board. Late Georgian Classical Style.
MATERIALS: brick with stone dressings and a slate roof, internal cast-iron members.
PLAN: rectangular plan.
EXTERIOR: two storeys and basement; three-bay east end. The wide pedimented ends have recessed outer bays, with plat band and eaves cornice all round. The east end has a central Venetian window, and outer segmental-arched ground-floor windows and first-floor round-arched windows set in matching recesses; metal framed windows. Six-bay north and south sides with windows as the end outer bays. West end of five bays, with a central doorway with moulded surround and bracketed cornice, to double doors each with eight raised panels, and lower outer doorways with architraves and pulvinated frieze and cornice, to eight-panel doors, and intermediate segmental-arched windows; upper windows as the sides, with an oculus in the pediment.
INTERIOR: a largely complete interior has a gallery on three sides on reeded cast-iron columns and the Royal Coat of Arms to the centre, panelled wainscot and gallery; panelled plaster ceiling; decorated east window with gilded Corinthian capitals. Wide timber roof trusses with queen and prince posts. Most of the original fittings replaced: C19 benches to the gallery, and a good late C19 octagonal pulpit with an iron rail to curved steps, turned posts to the corners and arched panels.
HISTORY: before the construction of the Chapel, employees used the local church or converted hulks moored at the quay.
Notable for its plan modelled on Non-conformist chapels, as are the dockyard chapels at Portsmouth and Sheerness (qqv), and occupying a strong position facing the entrance to the Yard. Contains the earliest use of structural cast-iron in a royal dockyard. An important part of a complete Georgian dockyard.
Newman, J, Buildings of England: West Kent and the Weald (1976) p 205;
Coad, J, Historic Architecture of Chatham Dockyard 1700-1850 (1982) p 169;
Coad, J, Historic Architecture of the Royal Navy (1983), p 117;
Coad, J, The Royal Dockyards 1690-1850 (1989) p 27-28.
REASONS FOR DESIGNATION: The Royal Dockyard Church is designated at Grade II* for the following principal reasons:
* architectural interest: early-C19 dockyard church notable for its plan modelled on non-conformist chapels and largely complete interior;
* historical interest: as a part of the world's most complete example of an historic dockyard from the age of sail and early steam;
* technological innovation: earliest use of structural cast-iron in a royal dockyard.
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.
Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings