This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 51.8398 / 51°50'23"N
Longitude: 0.4195 / 0°25'10"E
OS Eastings: 566782
OS Northings: 218451
OS Grid: TL667184
Mapcode National: GBR NGS.QVH
Mapcode Global: VHJJN.704Z
Entry Name: Barn to North East of Northend Place
Listing Date: 13 September 1996
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1268276
English Heritage Legacy ID: 461998
Location: Great Waltham, Chelmsford, Essex, CM6
Civil Parish: Great Waltham
Traditional County: Essex
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Essex
Church of England Parish: Great Waltham St Mary and St Lawrence with Ford End St John
Church of England Diocese: Chelmsford
TL61NE GREAT WALTHAM NORTHEND
719- /1/10025 Barn to NE of Northend Place
Barn. Late C16 or early C17. Timber framed, clad mainly in weatherboarding with a roof with
gablets now covered in corrugated iron but probably thatched at least in 1892. (Sales particulars.) Red brick plinth in Flemish bond. Six bays with aisle to north east. A 2-bay gabled extension was added to the north east elevation and an outshot at the north west is constructed of reused timbers which appear to come from a crownpost roof Frame has jowled posts, midrails and straight diagonal braces trenched across the faces of the studs. Wall frame intact apart from studwork removed to create a link with an adjoining mid to late C17 barn since virtually collapsed. Tie beam braces have been removed and replaced with oak bolted knees. Original heavy section rafters, pegged at the ridge, are supported by clasped purlins with collars tenoned into the rafters. The rafters to the aisle roof are smaller section smoke blackened timbers. There are two pairs of arched wind braces in each roof slope above what appears to be the original door position. Shown on Chapman and Andre map of 1777.
Listing NGR: TL6678218451
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings