History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Scott Polar Research Institute

A Grade II Listed Building in Cambridge, Cambridgeshire

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.1983 / 52°11'54"N

Longitude: 0.1264 / 0°7'34"E

OS Eastings: 545421

OS Northings: 257699

OS Grid: TL454576

Mapcode National: GBR L7H.2RV

Mapcode Global: VHHK9.40NK

Entry Name: Scott Polar Research Institute

Listing Date: 2 August 1996

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1268369

English Heritage Legacy ID: 461903

Location: Cambridge, Cambridgeshire, CB2

County: Cambridgeshire

District: Cambridge

Town: Cambridge

Electoral Ward/Division: Trumpington

Built-Up Area: Cambridge

Traditional County: Cambridgeshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cambridgeshire

Church of England Parish: Cambridge St Paul

Church of England Diocese: Ely

Find accommodation in
Cambridge

Listing Text

TL 4557 NW LENSFIELD ROAD
(South side)
667-/10/10055 Scott Polar Research Institute

II

Research institute and museum. 1933-34 by Sir Herbert Baker. Yellow brick laid in Flemish bond and stone dressings. Machine tiled roof. Classical style. 2 storeys and dormer attic. North front is a 4-window range, the central 2 window bays slightly recessed with stone quoins; stone quoins also to main angles. Central double timber doors within raised surround. One large arched 8112 sash right and left with carved keystones. Between them is a circular niche with bust of Captain Robert Falcon Scott, explorer. Stone platband between the floors. Outer bays with one 818 horned sash to each floor. Stone balustraded parapet, in centre of which is inscription: QV AESlVIT ARCANA POLIV ADET DEI. Hipped roof with 4 hipped dormer's fitted with casements. Returns with 3 818 horned sashes to each floor. 2 hipped dormers to west return, one to east return and a chimney stack. INTERIOR. The 2 arched windows light small interconnecting halls with shallow domed ceilings painted with aspect of globe from north pole (west) and south pole (east), by MacDonald Gill, 1934. Coffered transverse arch between the two. In front of halls are a pair of unfluted columns right and left, with palmette capitals painted gold.


Listing NGR: TL4542157698

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.