History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Guildhall

A Grade II Listed Building in Cambridge, Cambridgeshire

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.2049 / 52°12'17"N

Longitude: 0.1192 / 0°7'9"E

OS Eastings: 544913

OS Northings: 258414

OS Grid: TL449584

Mapcode National: GBR L79.LZH

Mapcode Global: VHHK3.0VW2

Entry Name: Guildhall

Listing Date: 2 August 1996

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1268372

English Heritage Legacy ID: 461906

Location: Cambridge, Cambridgeshire, CB2

County: Cambridgeshire

District: Cambridge

Town: Cambridge

Electoral Ward/Division: Market

Built-Up Area: Cambridge

Traditional County: Cambridgeshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cambridgeshire

Church of England Parish: Cambridge St Mary the Great with St Michael

Church of England Diocese: Ely

Find accommodation in
Cambridge

Listing Text

TL 4458 SE CAMBRIDGE MARKET PLACE
(South side)
667/6/10058 Guildhall

GV II

Town Hall. 1936-37 and 1946-48 by C. Cowles-Voysey, job architect J. Brandon-Jones. U-shaped on plan. Grey brick laid in Flemish bond. North front of5 storeys. 9-window range, the centre 7 window bays projecting. Rusticated stone basement storey. Central projecting stone doorcase containing double bronze doors with glazing. First-floor balcony carried on paired scrolled brackets, and fitted with bronze railings. Fenestration throughout of 3-light bronze casements set within minimal raised surrounds. Below attic storey is a cornice with a coffered soffit carrying a plain parapet pierced at intervals by balustrading. Attic storey set back, with 6 windows as before. Flat roof not visible. West front is a 14-window range, the centre 6 windows with a bronze first-floor balcony on paired scrolled brackets. 2 double doors in this centrepiece. S elevation is a single-window range. INTERIOR. From entrance hall 2 dog-leg marble staircases rise right and left to principal floor. Lower newels carry bronze sea-horses. Upper newels in form of2 bronze plinths with high-relief representations of animals, fruit and vegetables (the fruits of the sea and earth). Coffered staircase ceiling. Council Chamber heralded by 2 twin and 2 single octagonal columns with stylised bronze Ionic capitals. Coffered ceiling to Council Chamber, leather panels to walls, oak benches and platform. Small Hall on first floor: 2 storeys high; 5 clerestory windows under round arches, barrel-vaulted roof, wall pilasters with block entablatures. Committee Rooms 1 and 2 and Members' Room on first floor all walnut-lined. Court rooms also have original fittings.


Listing NGR: TL4491358414

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.