History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

The Mill Cottage Including Attached Wall to East Around Garage

A Grade II Listed Building in Southbourne, West Sussex

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 50.8519 / 50°51'6"N

Longitude: -0.9312 / 0°55'52"W

OS Eastings: 475333

OS Northings: 106360

OS Grid: SU753063

Mapcode National: GBR CF1.KCP

Mapcode Global: FRA 86YV.71W

Entry Name: The Mill Cottage Including Attached Wall to East Around Garage

Listing Date: 29 March 1996

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1268527

English Heritage Legacy ID: 461731

Location: Southbourne, Chichester, West Sussex, PO10

County: West Sussex

District: Chichester

Civil Parish: Southbourne

Built-Up Area: Emsworth

Traditional County: Sussex

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): West Sussex

Church of England Parish: Westbourne St John the Baptist

Church of England Diocese: Chichester

Find accommodation in
Emsworth

Listing Text

SU 70 NE SOUTHBOURNE LUMLEY ROAD
Lumley
1080/11/10014
The Mill Cottage, including attached
wall to east around garage

GV II


House, formerly coach house with harness room above and coachman's cottage and attached ornamental wall. Deeds dated 1769, altered in early C19 and extended in 1920s. Part facing road is of flint with flint galleting and stock brick dressings, rest of brick, part painted, with hipped slate roof with plain brick chimneystacks. This building is set endwise to the road with former coach house to end and cottage behind. Principal feature to road is fu1l-height end wall of flint with galleting and stock brick dressings with fu1l-height blocked round-headed carriage arch with early C20 casement. Attached to this is a curved wall terminating in stock brick pier where the horses were shod. Principal elevation to cottage set back behind high brick wall built of red bricks from the bottom of kilns, crenellated with a pattern of projecting headers, triangular buttress and curved arch with wooden door to front of house. Two storeys; 5 windows. Painted brick in Sussex bond. Irregular fenestration, including original first floor C18 Lumley Mill casement to right. Other windows are early C20 casements. Rear elevation has two half-hipped gabled ranges, the southernmost early C19 in diaper brickwork, the adjoining 1920s in similar style. One storey lean to on north. Interior retains wooden beam to former coach house. Cottage retains late C18 6-panelled doors, several cast iron firegrates, plank panelling and plank door and stick staircase. This building was originally the coach house and coachman's cottage to Lumley Mill and the picturesque flintwork was designed to be seen from the mill house. A local tradition is that the ornamental crenellated wall was built by French prisoners of war during the Napoleonic Wars.

Listing NGR: SU7533306360

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.