This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 53.1068 / 53°6'24"N
Longitude: -2.0252 / 2°1'30"W
OS Eastings: 398407
OS Northings: 356622
OS Grid: SJ984566
Mapcode National: GBR 24P.BS9
Mapcode Global: WHBCH.V5SL
Entry Name: Foxlowe
Listing Date: 13 April 1951
Last Amended: 14 October 1996
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1268572
English Heritage Legacy ID: 461657
Location: Leek, Staffordshire Moorlands, Staffordshire, ST13
District: Staffordshire Moorlands
Civil Parish: Leek
Built-Up Area: Leek
Traditional County: Staffordshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Staffordshire
Church of England Parish: Leek St Edward the Confessor
Church of England Diocese: Lichfield
SJ9856NW MARKET PLACE
611-1/4/84 (North side)
(Formerly Listed as:
Foxlowe (Leek Trades and Labour
House, in use as trade union and labour club since 1919. Late
C18. The interior remodelled c1900, probably by William Larner
Sugden. Brick with slate roof.
EXTERIOR: 3 storeys, 5-window range forming 2 parallel ranges.
Corinthian architrave with paterae and triglyphs to cornice;
6-panelled door with traceried fanlight enriched with swags in
the spandrels. Flanking 12-pane sash windows on each floor
(6-pane sashes to attic storey) with continuous cill band to
ground and first floors. String course above ground floor.
Central first-floor window emphasised with entablature. All
windows have painted stone cills and flat-arched brick heads.
Rear elevation has full-height bow window to principal rooms
(formerly drawing room and morning room) to right, long
service wing to left, extended against inner face with
addition of billiard room c1902, and further extended in
connection with the use of the building as a club in the C20.
INTERIOR: substantially remodelled c1900, though central
entrance and stair hall with stone cantilevered stair and
cast-iron balusters, and conservatory accessed from the
mezzanine may possibly date from earlier alterations. Plaster
or frieze paper cornice of pomegranates and leaves, to hall,
staircase and landings, and fine brass door furniture. Several
rooms contain fireplaces and overmantels from this c1900
remodelling, but the former drawing room to ground floor rear
retains a plaster cornice and gilded cornice to the bow window
from an earlier C19 decorative scheme.
HISTORICAL NOTE: the house was probably built for Thomas
Mills, attorney, of Leek and Barlaston Hall at the end of C18,
and was lived in for much of C19 by the locally eminent Cruso
family. In 1918, the house was acquired by the Federation of
Textile Unions as their headquarters and working men's club,
and served as the office of William Bromfield, for a time
General Secretary of the Union, and elected as Leek's first
labour MP in 1918.
Listing NGR: SJ9840756622
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings