This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 53.1068 / 53°6'24"N
Longitude: -2.0232 / 2°1'23"W
OS Eastings: 398546
OS Northings: 356626
OS Grid: SJ985566
Mapcode National: GBR 24P.C8Y
Mapcode Global: WHBCH.W5RK
Plus Code: 9C5V4X4G+PP
Entry Name: Ford House
Listing Date: 13 April 1951
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1268576
English Heritage Legacy ID: 461661
Location: Leek, Staffordshire Moorlands, Staffordshire, ST13
District: Staffordshire Moorlands
Civil Parish: Leek
Built-Up Area: Leek
Traditional County: Staffordshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Staffordshire
Church of England Parish: Leek St Edward the Confessor
Church of England Diocese: Lichfield
SJ9856NE MARKET STREET
611-1/5/87 (East side)
13/04/51 Ford House
House, now in use as offices. Early C18, extended and
remodelled late C19. Coursed and squared stone with stone
EXTERIOR: original building 3 storeys, a 3-window range with
later rear wing and parallel service range.
Central entrance in moulded architrave with Triglyph frieze
flanked by early C19 bow windows with reeded architraves.
Upper windows are 16-pane sashes to first floor, with 12-pane
sash with entablature carried on brackets over doorway. 8 and
6-pane sashes to attic storey. Plain cill bands to each floor.
Ornate lead-work rainwater goods. Full-height mullioned and
transomed stair window in return elevation to Stockwell
Full-height rear wing (possibly built or remodelled late C19)
to right of main range, the left-hand angle filled in with
late C19 2-storeyed extension. Single-storey range to right of
main elevation, comprising 2-window range facing garden,
probably part of late C19 alterations; top lit by paired domes
with stone tracery in each bay. Brick service wing offset to
rear, also 3-storeyed. Built in 3 phases (but mainly late
C19), with gable to left balanced by chamfered stone stack to
INTERIOR: survives largely as remodelled late C19, with detail
in Arts and Crafts or Renaissance Revival style: principal
reception room (to right of central entrance hall) has heavy
wood fireplace, the pilasters enriched with strapwork etc.,
and with marquetry inlaid in the overmantel, beneath
low-relief plasterwork hood. Left-hand front room has
fireplace with copper hood and tiles by de Morgan.
Study to rear has inglenook fireplace with bench built into
heck-wall, enriched timberwork posts and hoods, and
incorporates several fitted cupboards. Tiles surrounding
fireplace possibly also de Morgan. Staircase in rear corner of
original building possibly contemporary with the house:
twisted balusters and moulded tread ends, but stained glass in
full-height stair window relates to remodelling of interior:
figurative glass representing the rivers of Staffordshire.
Other interior features relating to the remodelling of the
house include the first-floor bathroom, with bath and integral
shower contained in wood-panelled case.
HISTORICAL NOTE: the house was formerly the home of the Sneyd
family, and although there is no firm attribution, stylistic
evidence would suggest that the remodelling was the work of
William Larner Sugden.
Listing NGR: SJ9854656626
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings