This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 53.1054 / 53°6'19"N
Longitude: -2.0179 / 2°1'4"W
OS Eastings: 398898
OS Northings: 356465
OS Grid: SJ988564
Mapcode National: GBR 24Q.6NF
Mapcode Global: WHBCH.Z68P
Entry Name: Cross Street Mills
Listing Date: 14 October 1996
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1268622
English Heritage Legacy ID: 461627
Location: Leek, Staffordshire Moorlands, Staffordshire, ST13
District: Staffordshire Moorlands
Civil Parish: Leek
Built-Up Area: Leek
Traditional County: Staffordshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Staffordshire
Church of England Parish: Leek St Edward the Confessor
Church of England Diocese: Lichfield
SJ9856SE CROSS STREET
611-1/7/52 (East side)
Cross Street Mills
Silk mill, now offices. c1850-1860 and c1900. Brick with slate
roofs, blue brick and stone dressings. 3 distinct blocks, all
built to similar Free Classical style with Venetian
polychromatic detail, but representing different phases of
expansion on the site.
EXTERIOR: central block a 3-storeyed 6-window range with
stilted arched lower windows and round-arched upper windows.
To its right, an advanced 3-storeyed 3-window range with
balustraded parapet and steep Welsh slate roof to rear. This
is possibly the earliest building on the site, c1850-60.
Left-hand block (on corner with Well Street) probably the
latest addition of c1900.
2 storeys, a 7-window range to Cross Street and curved angle
to Well Street, the corner-bay stressed by giant pilasters.
This corner-bay has triple window to ground floor and
pedimented Venetian window above, with cartouche over flanked
by coupled pilasters and inscribed 'Brough Nicholson and Hall
est. 1815'. 7-window range has stilted arches to lower windows
(the central window possibly formerly a doorway) and
round-arched windows to first floor. Cill band below upper
windows and cornice band above. The bays are articulated by
brick pilasters with rusticated stone architraves. Stepped
profile to parapet above. Decorative bands of blue brick and
chequerwork brick. 10-window return range to Well Street with
doorways in bays 3 and 7. Similar giant angle pilasters at
corner, and similar openings (with some minor alterations).
INTERIOR: partially fireproofed, with cast-iron columns but
timber beams. The buildings are all that survive of the silk
mills of Brough Nicholson and Hall, a noted local
Listing NGR: SJ9889856465
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings