History in Structure

Byre and Barns at Dieu-La-Cres Abbey Farm Farm Buildings at Dieu-La-Cres Abbey Farm

A Grade II Listed Building in Leek, Staffordshire

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »


Latitude: 53.1179 / 53°7'4"N

Longitude: -2.0269 / 2°1'36"W

OS Eastings: 398295

OS Northings: 357856

OS Grid: SJ982578

Mapcode National: GBR 24H.JCS

Mapcode Global: WHBC9.TWZM

Plus Code: 9C5V4X9F+56

Entry Name: Byre and Barns at Dieu-La-Cres Abbey Farm Farm Buildings at Dieu-La-Cres Abbey Farm

Listing Date: 13 April 1951

Last Amended: 14 October 1996

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1268655

English Heritage Legacy ID: 461579

ID on this website: 101268655

Location: Abbey Green, Staffordshire Moorlands, Staffordshire, ST13

County: Staffordshire

District: Staffordshire Moorlands

Civil Parish: Leek

Traditional County: Staffordshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Staffordshire

Church of England Parish: Leek St Edward the Confessor

Church of England Diocese: Lichfield

Tagged with: Cowshed

Find accommodation in



611-1/1/7 (East side)
13/04/51 Byre and Barns at Dieu-la-Cres Abbey
(Formerly Listed as:
Farm buildings of Dieu-la-Cres Abbey


Byres and barn. c1820. Incorporating stone from the C13 Abbey
of Dieu l'Acres. Coursed and squared stone with slate roofs.
EXTERIOR: 2-storeyed byre with 2-storeyed barn at right
angles, and single-storeyed byre range, enclosing 3 sides of a
courtyard. Byre has a series of pointed-arched doors and
windows in both elevations, some clearly assembled from abbey
ruins, others possibly cut in C19. Carved stones from abbey
used to ornament the building in a highly deliberate
decorative scheme, the ornamentation largely concentrated over
the openings, and using roof bosses, fragments of tracery,
vaulting ribs etc. Single-storeyed byre wing has similar doors
and windows in inner face, and its gable wall is ornamented
with abbey sculpture, in which a stone coffin lid forms the
centrepiece. 2-storeyed barn wing with blocked full-height
archway, windows and ventilation slits, again ornamented with
moulded capitals and roof bosses taken from abbey.
INTERIOR: not inspected.
HISTORICAL NOTE: writing in 1862, a local historian, John
Sleigh noted that at the beginning of the C19, the ruins of
the abbey 'were partially dug up and the materials used in the
erection of the stables and outbuildings of the large black
and white farmhouse adjacent.'
The buildings form a group with the E and W stable ranges of
the farm, together with the farmhouse. They represent an
important and unusual example of the re-use of early building
material in a highly deliberate aesthetic, as a kind of
(Sleigh, John: A History of the Ancient Parish of Leek: Leek:

Listing NGR: SJ9829557855

External Links

External links are from the relevant listing authority and, where applicable, Wikidata. Wikidata IDs may be related buildings as well as this specific building. If you want to add or update a link, you will need to do so by editing the Wikidata entry.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.