History in Structure

Prince of Wales House

A Grade II Listed Building in Hertford, Hertfordshire

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »


Latitude: 51.7979 / 51°47'52"N

Longitude: -0.0736 / 0°4'25"W

OS Eastings: 532935

OS Northings: 212783

OS Grid: TL329127

Mapcode National: GBR KBR.66T

Mapcode Global: VHGPN.N2YK

Plus Code: 9C3XQWXG+5G

Entry Name: Prince of Wales House

Listing Date: 9 September 1996

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1269005

English Heritage Legacy ID: 461253

ID on this website: 101269005

Location: Hertford, East Hertfordshire, SG14

County: Hertfordshire

District: East Hertfordshire

Civil Parish: Hertford

Built-Up Area: Hertford

Traditional County: Hertfordshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Hertfordshire

Church of England Parish: Hertford All Saints

Church of England Diocese: St.Albans

Tagged with: Architectural structure

Find accommodation in



817-1/17/4 (West side)
Prince of Wales House


Former dormitory house to Christ's Hospital School, one of 8
identical blocks, now offices. 1904-6, with late C20
alterations. Architect Alexander Stenning, contractor Sabey
and Co, Islington. Red brick, laid to Flemish bond with
Portland stone dressings. Machine tiled roofs with lead roll
hips and ridges, red brick chimneys with stone bands and
EXTERIOR: 3 storeys, with second floor partly in roof as
semi-attic. Square block plan with long rectangular projection
for open dormitories. Queen Anne style; 3 bay east facade to
Bluecoat Avenue, red brick plinths and walls, with stone
rusticated quoins, and plat bands at first and second-floor
level. 3 windows, wood sashes with glazing bars set back in
reveals, on ground and first floors with red rubbed brick flat
arches and projecting stone key blocks. Moulded stone sills,
and projecting brick aprons with shallow ogee profile lower
margins, beneath all windows of front elevation. Wood
modillion eaves cornice broken by second-floor windows which
have shallow lead covered pedimental dormer roofs, outer
triangular, central segmental. Doors in central bay, modern
twin leaf with raised fielded panels and blank fanlights,
recessed in opening with red brick flat arch and stone key
block. Cast-iron rainwater heads, initialled 'CH' (Christ's
Hospital) '1904', with rectangular rainwater pipes on bay
lines. South elevation has twin projecting bay windows with 2
sash windows with rubbed brick arches and brick key blocks,
separated by central pier, moulded stone cornice, and parapet
with ramped moulded stone cap. To first floor 1 sash window
left and right, second floor semi-dormers with paired sashes,
with triangular pedimented roof. Ground floor centre recessed
between bays, originally with narrow windows, now widened to
form subsidiary entrance, with modern twin leaf doors. At
landing level there is a moulded stone band forming the sill
of a tall window, with moulded stone surround and semicircular
arched head, with moulded console key block. At landing level
intermediate between first and second floors is a stone
panelled spandrel, with twin recessed, raised and carved
cartouches, with scrollwork and fruit, with the date '19' and
'04'. Leaded glazing with obscured quarries, some with

fleur-de-lys. Lower light has stained and painted armorial
bearings of HRH Prince of Wales (later HM King George V), and
upper light, armorial bearings of City of London.
To the left the setback tail of the dormitories, 4 bays,
paired sashes on all floors, with pedimented dormers.
Chimneybreast and chimneystack in centre. Ground floor
projecting canted chimneybreast with stone pulvinated frieze,
cornice and stone modelled caps, with ogee profile. In the
centre is recessed rectangular panel, with raised carved
scrollwork and shield with the arms of the City of London.
Above the band, chimney continues as a shallow projection to
first and second floors. Above eaves cornice, brick stack with
twin blank arch recesses, moulded stone band and cornice. Rear
elevation faces west, single bay.
North elevation repeats central chimney detail from south
elevation. Single projecting rectangular bay on ground floor.
Nos 3 and 4 linked on west by a red brick wall with moulded
stone coping, ramped at each end.
INTERIOR: not inspected.
HISTORICAL NOTE: Christ's Hospital, founded in the reign of
Edward VI moved to Hertford and Ware following destruction of
its premises in the City of London in the Great Fire of 1666.
The Hertford premises were rebuilt in 1685 as twin terraces of
dormitories facing each other across a central yard. The
school was rebuilt 1904-6, when the 8 dormitory houses were
constructed, and officially opened by TRH Prince and Princess
of Wales (later King George and Queen Mary) during their visit
to Hertford in July 1906. The new school had been designed to
accommodate girls only, the boys' school having moved to
Horsham in Sussex. The girls' school remained in operation
until 1984, when it was also moved to Horsham. The Christ's
Hospital site was partly redeveloped, west of Mill Road, which
was cut through east of the dormitory courtyard, and the
dormitory block changed to office use, with some subdivision
of the interiors.
The dormitory blocks have group value with each other, and
with the remainder of the buildings of the former Christ's
Hospital School.
(Turnor L: History of Hertford: Hertford: 1830-: 323-331;
Victoria History of the Counties of England: Hertfordshire:
London: 1901-1912: 491; Royal Commission on Historical
Monuments (England): An Inventory of the Historical Monuments
of Hertfordshire: London: 1910-: 113-4; Hope Bagenal: The
Georgian and Post Georgian Buildings of Hertford: 1929-:
10-11; Hertfordshire Countryside: Morrison J: Bluecoats in
Hertfordshire: Letchworth: 1946-1954: 62-3; The Buildings of
England: Pevsner N: Hertfordshire: Harmondsworth: 1977-: 188;
Page FM: History of Hertford: Hertford: 1993-:

58,59,97,122,125-6; Felstead A: Directory of British
Architects 1834-1900: London: 1993-: 872).

Listing NGR: TL3291712799

External Links

External links are from the relevant listing authority and, where applicable, Wikidata. Wikidata IDs may be related buildings as well as this specific building. If you want to add or update a link, you will need to do so by editing the Wikidata entry.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.