History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Fonthill

A Grade II Listed Building in Shaldon, Devon

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 50.5385 / 50°32'18"N

Longitude: -3.5099 / 3°30'35"W

OS Eastings: 293095

OS Northings: 72060

OS Grid: SX930720

Mapcode National: GBR P1.P5LK

Mapcode Global: FRA 37JM.Y4N

Entry Name: Fonthill

Listing Date: 29 July 1983

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1269141

English Heritage Legacy ID: 461065

Location: Shaldon, Teignbridge, Devon, TQ14

County: Devon

District: Teignbridge

Civil Parish: Shaldon

Built-Up Area: Shaldon

Traditional County: Devon

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Devon

Church of England Parish: Shaldon

Church of England Diocese: Exeter

Find accommodation in
Bishopsteignton

Listing Text


SHALDON

SX9372 TORQUAY ROAD, Shaldon
25-1/6/88 (South side)
29/07/83 Fonthill

II

House. c1850, altered 1865 and extended 1875, possibly on old
foundations. Painted stucco, hipped slate roof with wide eaves
and moulded stacks to front left and rear right. Square plan
with higher 1875 wing to the right and clock tower to front
right.
EXTERIOR: 2 storeys; 4-window range. The c1850 house has
chamfered rusticated quoins, moulded architraves and bracketed
sills, those to the ground floor have 1875 panelled friezes
below elaborate consoles to the cornices. To the right of
centre are steps up to an 1875 semicircular 2-storey Tuscan
porch with 2-panel double doors and overlight under three
6/6-pane semicircular-arched sash windows with shell keystones
and blind balustraded aprons, to the centre is a plaque
showing a breach in a Roman wall.
The entrance was formerly on the east, symmetrical 3-window
range garden side. Similar architraves to the 1st floor
6/6-pane sash windows with margin panes, that to the centre
has a segmental arch. To the ground floor are two 1865 French
windows in canted bays under a swept verandah canopy which has
a pierced wooden frieze and slender cast-iron columns.
The rear has a large 1875 canted bay with various windows.
INTERIOR: partially inspected; the entrance hall is probably
1875, panelled in oak with a high skirting board, it has
4-panel doors, an elaborate cornice and ceiling rose.
HISTORICAL NOTE: the house was acquired by the Greame family
in 1865 and the plaque over the door shows part of the arms, a
breach in the Roman Antonine wall made in 404 AD. A bell tower
in the courtyard has been rebuilt.
A fine C19 villa, with little C20 alteration.



Listing NGR: SX9309572060

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Description


SHALDON

SX9372 TORQUAY ROAD, Shaldon
25-1/6/88 (South side)
29/07/83 Fonthill

II

House. c1850, altered 1865 and extended 1875, possibly on old
foundations. Painted stucco, hipped slate roof with wide eaves
and moulded stacks to front left and rear right. Square plan
with higher 1875 wing to the right and clock tower to front
right.
EXTERIOR: 2 storeys; 4-window range. The c1850 house has
chamfered rusticated quoins, moulded architraves and bracketed
sills, those to the ground floor have 1875 panelled friezes
below elaborate consoles to the cornices. To the right of
centre are steps up to an 1875 semicircular 2-storey Tuscan
porch with 2-panel double doors and overlight under three
6/6-pane semicircular-arched sash windows with shell keystones
and blind balustraded aprons, to the centre is a plaque
showing a breach in a Roman wall.
The entrance was formerly on the east, symmetrical 3-window
range garden side. Similar architraves to the 1st floor
6/6-pane sash windows with margin panes, that to the centre
has a segmental arch. To the ground floor are two 1865 French
windows in canted bays under a swept verandah canopy which has
a pierced wooden frieze and slender cast-iron columns.
The rear has a large 1875 canted bay with various windows.
INTERIOR: partially inspected; the entrance hall is probably
1875, panelled in oak with a high skirting board, it has
4-panel doors, an elaborate cornice and ceiling rose.
HISTORICAL NOTE: the house was acquired by the Greame family
in 1865 and the plaque over the door shows part of the arms, a
breach in the Roman Antonine wall made in 404 AD. A bell tower
in the courtyard has been rebuilt.
A fine C19 villa, with little C20 alteration.



Listing NGR: SX9309572060

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.