History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

The Ness House Hotel and Attached Courtyard Wall

A Grade II Listed Building in Shaldon, Devon

More Photos »
Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 50.538 / 50°32'16"N

Longitude: -3.4992 / 3°29'56"W

OS Eastings: 293858

OS Northings: 71983

OS Grid: SX938719

Mapcode National: GBR P2.88HH

Mapcode Global: FRA 37KM.W2B

Plus Code: 9C2RGGQ2+58

Entry Name: The Ness House Hotel and Attached Courtyard Wall

Listing Date: 30 June 1949

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1269196

English Heritage Legacy ID: 461032

Location: Shaldon, Teignbridge, Devon, TQ14

County: Devon

Civil Parish: Shaldon

Built-Up Area: Shaldon

Traditional County: Devon

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Devon

Church of England Parish: Shaldon

Church of England Diocese: Exeter

Find accommodation in
Teignmouth

Description


SHALDON

SX97SW NESS DRIVE, Shaldon
25-1/9/72 (East side)
30/06/49 The Ness House Hotel and attached
courtyard wall

II

Formerly known as: Ness House NESS DRIVE Shaldon TEIGNMOUTH.
House, now a hotel. Early C19, altered mid C19 with late C19
wing to the right. Painted stucco, hipped slate roof with
rendered stacks to front and rear left. Double-depth plan with
a long 2-storey set-back right wing with ridge stacks.
EXTERIOR: 2 storeys; 3-window range. Wide overhanging eaves
form a 2-storey verandah supported at each stage by cast-iron
columns. The 1st-floor level has semi-elliptical timber
trellised arches and railings between the columns and 6/6-pane
sash windows; the ground floor is open. The 6-panel door is
set in a reeded doorcase with plain blocks to the upper
corners. The porch now glazed, has similar trellissing to the
balcony. To the ground-floor are c1850 French windows with
margin panes and Gothic glazing to the overlights.
The left (garden) return is similar with plate-glass French
windows.
INTERIOR: ground-floor rooms have panelled shutters with
raised moulding with inverted corners, similar moulding to
double doors between the left-hand rooms set in a reeded
architrave with plain blocks to the upper corners, and c1850
decorative cornices.
SUBSIDIARY FEATURES: attached to the front right corner is a
high painted rubblestone wall fronting the right wing and
forming a courtyard.
HISTORICAL NOTE: this was the residence of Lord Clifford of
Chudleigh, Lord of the Manor.
(The Buildings of England: Pevsner N & Cherry B: Devon:
London: 1989-: 801; Kelly's Directory 1902).



Listing NGR: SX9385871983

Selected Sources

Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.

Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.