This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 54.198 / 54°11'52"N
Longitude: -2.8993 / 2°53'57"W
OS Eastings: 341426
OS Northings: 478401
OS Grid: SD414784
Mapcode National: GBR 8M6W.3W
Mapcode Global: WH83D.FRL3
Entry Name: Netherwood Hotel
Listing Date: 2 May 1975
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1269682
English Heritage Legacy ID: 460531
Location: Grange-Over-Sands, South Lakeland, Cumbria, LA11
District: South Lakeland
Civil Parish: Grange-over-Sands
Traditional County: Lancashire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cumbria
Church of England Parish: Grange-over-Sands St Paul
Church of England Diocese: Carlisle
SD47NW LINDALE ROAD
705-1/2/24 (North side (off))
02/05/75 Netherwood Hotel
Formerly known as: Blawith LINDALE ROAD.
Large house, now hotel. 1893. By Willink and Thicknesse.
Snecked limestone with red sandstone dressings and slate
roofs. Irregular plan, with an asymmetrical facade in a style
EXTERIOR: built against a hillside, with 2 and 3 storeys above
a basement storey.
The windows have chamfered mullions and many have transoms. To
the right of the entrance is an embattled tower of one bay and
3 storeys above a basement. To its right are 2 window bays,
the right-hand one treated as a gabled cross-wing with a
canted bay window on the ground floor. To its right is a
round-arched doorway to a terrace, reached by flight of stone
steps. To the left of the facade there are 2 adjacent one-bay
gables, the left-hand one wider and with a square bay window
on 1st floor above a basement. Between the right-hand gable
and the main entrance there is one wide window bay. The
entrance porch has a basement doorway in its left-hand return
wall, but the main doorway is reached by a long flight of
stone steps between parapets with pyramid finials. The doorway
is moulded and Tudor-arched and has a datestone inscribed 'GDM
AD 1893'. The gables are coped and have finials, and the
chimneys have round shafts on rectangular bases. To the left
(west) there are extensive late C20 extensions in keeping.
INTERIOR: the oak panelling in the principal rooms is said to
be by Gillows of Lancaster. The open-well stair has carved
newels and arcaded balusters. A right-hand rear room has a
wide segmental carved sandstone inglenook arch and a convex
carved fireplace. The room to the left of the entrance hall
includes a built-in oak sideboard, and an overmantel with
linenfold panels and carved foliage.
Listing NGR: SD4143278410
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings