History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Swarthmoor Hall

A Grade II* Listed Building in Ulverston, Cumbria

More Photos »
Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 54.1864 / 54°11'10"N

Longitude: -3.102 / 3°6'7"W

OS Eastings: 328186

OS Northings: 477293

OS Grid: SD281772

Mapcode National: GBR 6NS1.72

Mapcode Global: WH72C.B13H

Entry Name: Swarthmoor Hall

Listing Date: 2 March 1950

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1270174

English Heritage Legacy ID: 460043

Location: Ulverston, South Lakeland, Cumbria, LA12

County: Cumbria

District: South Lakeland

Civil Parish: Ulverston

Traditional County: Lancashire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cumbria

Church of England Parish: Ulverston St Mary with Holy Trinity

Church of England Diocese: Carlisle

Find accommodation in
Ulverston

Listing Text


ULVERSTON

SD27NE SWARTHMOOR HALL LANE
626-1/1/139 Swarthmoor Hall
02/03/50

II*

House. Early C17. Restored late C19 and early C20 after
becoming neglected and ruinous. Roughcast with sandstone
ashlar dressings and slate roofs. L-plan (with additions in
the angle of the 'L' made in 1912).
2 storeys plus a 3rd, attic, storey. The windows have
chamfered mullions (some opened out or renewed during
restoration) with diamond-leaded lights.
The south front has one of 4 lights to the left of the door
and ones of 2-3-2 lights to the right, the latter linked by a
continuous hoodmould. On the 1st floor there is one of 3
lights with a hood, and ones of 2-3-3 lights linked by a hood.
The attic is lit by 3 windows of 3 lights. The door has a
chamfered surround with an embattled lintel. Chimney on
left-hand gable.
The right-hand (east) facade has a canted bay window rising to
the full height of the gable of the front range. On the ground
and 1st floors it has a 4-light window with transom facing
forwards and a similar 2-light window to each side. The attic
storey is lit by a stepped window of one light over 3, with
hoodmould. To the right on the ground floor there is a narrow
chamfered door surround with 2 windows of 2 lights to its
right. On the 1st floor there is a chamfered doorway with
hoodmould and a lintel carved with lozenge and intersecting
patterns and with 2 central spirals. The timber balcony is
early C20 and replaces an external stair. To the right there
are windows of 3 lights and 2 lights linked by a hood. The
attic is lit by a 3-light window. Chimneys on right-hand
(rear) gable and at the junction between the rear wing and the
front range.
INTERIOR: much of the interior panelling was restored or
constructed in the early C20 by Emma Clarke Abraham. Judge
Fell's room in the rear wing includes a fireplace surround
which uses timber from a C17 bed. The staircase rises to attic
level around a cage of 4 newels infilled with balusters. On
the 1st floor the eastern room of the front range is panelled,
as is the room in the rear wing which includes a carved
fireplace surround. The front attic room has 3 trusses with
collars, raised ties, and exposed purlins.
HISTORICAL NOTE: Swarthmoor Hall was the home of the Fell
family, who acquired the estate in the C16. Margaret Fell,


wife of Judge Thomas Fell who died in 1658, became a disciple
of George Fox in 1652 and Swarthmoor became a centre for Fox's
missionary travels. In 1669 the couple married.

Listing NGR: SD2818677293

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.