This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 53.0037 / 53°0'13"N
Longitude: -1.2045 / 1°12'16"W
OS Eastings: 453479
OS Northings: 345451
OS Grid: SK534454
Mapcode National: GBR L93.6D
Mapcode Global: WHDGK.GRNN
Plus Code: 9C5W2Q3W+F5
Entry Name: Church of St John the Divine
Listing Date: 30 November 1995
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1270623
English Heritage Legacy ID: 457951
Location: Nottingham, NG6
County: City of Nottingham
Electoral Ward/Division: Bulwell
Built-Up Area: Nottingham
Traditional County: Nottinghamshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Nottinghamshire
Church of England Parish: Bulwell St John
Church of England Diocese: Southwell and Nottingham
SK54NW MUSTERS WALK, Bulwell
646-1/1/436 (North West side)
Church of St John the Divine
Parish church. 1884-85. By William Knight. Rockfaced Bulwell
stone with ashlar and blue lias dressings. Concrete tile
roofs, with coped gables and spired bell turret at crossing.
Gothic Revival style.
PLAN: apsidal chancel, transepts, nave with clerestory and
aisles, north porch.
EXTERIOR: plinth, quoins, string courses, impost bands,
buttresses to nave and aisles, corbel table. Pointed arched
windows with simple tracery. Chancel has deep battered plinth
and 5 single light windows with billeted surrounds and shafts.
Transepts have 2 lancets and above, a round window. Clerestory
has on each side four 3-light windows. On the south side, a
gabled bell turret to east, and a bracket with a further bell
to west. West end has two 2-light windows set high, with a
round window above. Aisles, 4 bays, have triple lancets in
each bay, and in the west ends, traceried 3-light windows.
North porch has a moulded pointed arched doorway with shafts,
and a double niche above.
INTERIOR: rendered. Chancel has 2 closely spaced double
chamfered arches with shaft imposts, and triple niche above.
Plastered wooden vault with ribs and wall shafts. To north and
south, a roll moulded pointed arched recess with organ pipes
to north and C20 screen and door to south. Apse has 5 stained
glass windows, 1892, by Powell. Nave has arch braced roof with
traceried spandrels and wall shafts on corbels. Arcades, 4
bays with double chamfered arches and round and quatrefoil
piers. Aisles have plain lean-to roofs. North aisle has
internal porch, and Baroque style organ case at east end.
South aisle has pointed arched niche at each end.
Fittings include C19 altar rail, octagonal font on clustered
columns, and original benches. Traceried panelled wooden
reredos, 1940. Other fittings later C20. Memorials include
alabaster tablet, 1902.
(The Buildings of England: Pevsner N: Nottinghamshire: London:
Listing NGR: SK5347945451
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.
Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings