History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Prestige Building (1937 Range Only)

A Grade II Listed Building in Burnley, Lancashire

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 53.7946 / 53°47'40"N

Longitude: -2.2412 / 2°14'28"W

OS Eastings: 384209

OS Northings: 433171

OS Grid: SD842331

Mapcode National: GBR DSSK.LG

Mapcode Global: WHB7X.JWZC

Plus Code: 9C5VQQV5+RG

Entry Name: Prestige Building (1937 Range Only)

Listing Date: 2 May 1995

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1270973

English Heritage Legacy ID: 467046

Location: Burnley, Lancashire, BB11

County: Lancashire

District: Burnley

Town: Burnley

Electoral Ward/Division: Daneshouse with Stoneyholme

Built-Up Area: Burnley

Traditional County: Lancashire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Lancashire

Church of England Parish: Burnley St Peter

Church of England Diocese: Blackburn

Find accommodation in
Burnley

Listing Text


BURNLEY

SD8433SW COLNE ROAD
906-1/10/48 (West side)
02/05/95 Prestige Building (1937 range only)

II

Factory. 1937. By Wallis, Gilbert and Partners, for Burnley
Corporation. Red brick in stretcher bond with deep bands of
soldier coursing, concrete dressings (now texture-coated),
metal-framed and a flat roof concealed but probably asphalt.
Modernist style. Long rectangular plan parallel to road with
office block projected from the centre (extensive workshops to
rear not included).
EXTERIOR: 2 storey centre of 1:5:1 bays, with long
single-storey 4-window side ranges; symmetrical, and strongly
rectilinear; with white concrete plinths, sillbands, and
narrow sunk friezes with simple projected cornices. The centre
has a giant 5-bay rectangular recess with splayed concrete
reveals moulded in 3 orders, a tall ground floor guarded by 6
free-standing concrete columnar lamp standards which have
vertical ovolo-and-fillet moulding and are surmounted by
ovoid-shaped metal lamps with oval glazing (resembling
helmets); a large square-headed doorway in the centre with
glazed double doors furnished with long pendent brass handles
curved at the foot and a large rectangular overlight with Art
Deco curvilinear glazing bars; one large square-headed window
in each of the other bays; a broad band of soldier coursing
over these openings, and continuous fenestration at 1st floor
with a rippled concrete apron. The outer bays each have a
2-storey window to the height of the recess, and the
"entablature" to the whole of this block is a thick sandwich
of stretcher bond between bands of soldier coursing (now with
"THE PRESTIGE GROUP PLC" in large attached lettering). The
4-window set-back side ranges are lower and have wide oblong
3-light windows with flat-faced concrete mullions and concrete
lintels. The 2-window left return is in matching style; the
right-hand return has an exposed basement with former loading
bay.
INTERIOR: fine entrance hall containing doglegged staircase
with smooth marble wall and brass handrail.
HISTORY: built by Burnley Corporation development Committee to
ameliorate the effects of the decline of the cotton industry
in the town; designed by Wallis, Gilbert & Partners,
architects of (inter alia) the Firestone Factory, Brentwood,
and the Hoover Factory in London.

Listing NGR: SD8420933171

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.